Rescued and Reunited

Shadow's Pov

It's been a few weeks since I've been caught. At least, it feels that way. I've kinda lost track of time. Everyday was the same. The Commander comes in, offers me the chance to save myself if I tell him where Silver is, then beats the ever loving crap out of me when I refuse. Today, however, things were different.

When The Commander came into my cell, he had a black sack in his hand. "Get up," he ordered. Once I was on my feet, he shoved the sack over my head and started telling me what was going to happen. He didn't need to bother, I worked for him, I knew exactly what came next. I get hauled away to a private hearing of my 'crimes' with The President, and then he and The Commander decide my sentence. The sack was so I wouldn't know where they were taking me.

Soon enough, we arrived for the meeting, although we were the only ones there. "It would seem we're early," he said. "I'll give you one last chance; tell me where Project Light is, and we'll see about lessening your sentence." I looked him dead in the eyes before giving him my answer.

"Drop dead," I said before spitting in his face. He wiped his cheek, told me that I sealed my own fate, and punched me hard right in the jaw, before shoving my head back in the sack. Not even a second later, The President walked in, ready to hear my story. By my story, of course I mean the story The Commander told him.

"I must say Shadow," he started once The Commander had finished. "I'm surprised to see how much you've fallen. You were the last agent I would've expected to betray us, After all, you've risked your life so many times to save the world. But, the story doesn't lie."

"Which is why you're making a mistake," a voice called out. I didn't need to see to know who it was, I already knew it was Rouge and, from the sound of it Omega. I had a feeling they would try this, but I doubt it will do any good. "Shadow has done nothing wrong, because you don't know what Project Light actually is."

"Then what exactly is Project Light, Agent Rouge?" I was surprised The President was actually listening to Rouge, and I was willing to bet that The Commander knew he was done for. Rouge told him the whole story, and by the time she was done, I could tell his mind might have been changed. "As fascinating as that story is Rouge," he said. "We need actual proof that what you've said is the truth."

"I know sir," Rouge said. "Which is why we brought you all the proof you'll need." I then heard someone else walking into the room and heard a voice that made me smile, even if I couldn't see him. They brought Silver in as proof. "Sir, allow me to introduce you to Silver the Hedgehog, or as you would know him as, Project Light."

It was silent for a while before The President finally spoke. "Well, taking everything I've been presented with, I see no reason to delay the inevitable. Shadow the Hedgehog, you are hereby pardoned of your accused crimes. And as for you, Commander, you are guilty of those very charges, and will face a life sentence in maximum security prison. Take him away boys." As he was dragged away, he swore he would get even with me.

Rouge then took the sack off my head as two G.U.N. soldiers undid my restraints. I then saw Silver who was happier than I've ever seen him. I also saw the person who must have brought him in. She was a golden hedgehog with.... wait. I know those eyes. Can it really be.... I walked up to her and managed to ask her, "M-Maria?"

She gave me a tiny smile before giving me her answer, "Hello, Shadow. It's good to see you." I could feel tears forming in my eyes but I didn't bother trying to fight them, it wouldn't have worked anyway. I was half expecting someone to wake me up from what had to be a dream.

I quickly pulled her into a big hug. "I don't know how you came back and I don't care," I told her, my voice shaking. "Just never leave me again. I need you in my life. I-I love you, Maria." I didn't really mean to say all that, at least not right now. Once I did though, I saw she had tears in her eyes. I was about to apologize, when she kissed me.

"I love you too, Shadow," she said once we pulled away. I couldn't believe it. Just a few minutes ago, I was seconds away from death. Now, I have the love of my life back and she loves me back. Things never work out this well for me. As we kissed again, I couldn't help but feel great. In just a few weeks, I've gained a son and the love of my life. For once, things are finally going my way.