The truth

"And where do you think you're going?" Klaus stepped off the staircase.

I took my hand off the door handle. Of course. "Didn't know I had to check in with you before I could go outside." While the Mikaelson mansion was beautiful, I wanted out now that I had a new daylight ring, courtesy of one Bonnie Bennett.

"Watch your tongue, little mouse." He warned. "I'm sure you wouldn't mind my company on your walk then."

"Fine, if that's what it takes to get out of this damn house."

Klaus opened the door, nodding at me to go first. "A bird told me you know who your attacker is." He waited until we were walking side by side before he slung an arm around my shoulder, forcefully drawing me into his side. "Tell me who it is so I can tear their head from their body."

"No."

"Sweetheart. Whomever you're protecting, they hurt my family and I cannot let that stand, so be a dear and tell me."

"I'm not protecting anyone." Maybe myself. "You don't have to avenge me or anything. But let's go back to how Elijah kidnapped one of my friends."

"Don't change the subject, love."

"Don't avoid the topic, Niklaus."

His eyes narrowed. "I'll allow that because you're family."

It did give me some vindictive pleasure to know he hated when people called him Niklaus if they weren't his siblings.

He had to be big bad Klaus.

"Back to it, why won't you let Ric go?" If Damon was drinking enough to stay actively drunk, we needed to fix it soon.

Before he did something too stupid for even him.

"Now how did you know we took the teacher?"

I felt the blood drain from my face as I scrambled to come up with some excuse. "Elijah told us! Jeremy and I were intercepted in the tunnels when we went looking for the missing person." Admitting that was better than telling him I'd been to the Salvatore house.

"Suspicious behavior for one who only met Elijah."

Shit.

Did he know? Was he toying with me? "It's not suspicious. I don't want you to hurt my friends because you think they did something."

He hummed. "Their innocence still remains to be seen. Rest assured I will find who hurt you and they will meet a slow and painful end."

"Klaus, please, don't." I needed him to not find out so that the woman from the woods could enact her plan. "This was just another kidnapping, nothing more, nothing less."

I was supposed to be the distraction.

She didn't believe me when I agreed the first fucking time.

Because I did agree with what she was doing, however horribly she went about 'convincing' me.

"You wouldn't mind if we stopped at the Salvatores' then. I'm sure they've missed you. Haven't seen you for two whole weeks."

My stomach dropped. "You knew?"

"Of course, little mouse. You think I'd let you wander around on your own with only one hybrid for protection? While the reasoning behind their ineffectiveness remains to be seen, I wonder if it has anything to do with the doppelgänger and her disciples." The path we were on began to look awfully familiar.

"Wait no, what about the truce?" I tried to veer away but Klaus kept a firm grip on my shoulders.

"Don't worry about that, sister. I want you to focus on your newest role as referee, lest I get impatient and tear their hearts from their chests."

He knew I wouldn't be able to stop him.

"Why do you need to figure out who kidnapped me so badly?!" Despite it being useless, I tried to slip away again.

Didn't work.

"We Mikaelsons have a reputation to uphold. Your mystery assailant took you out from under my nose. I could handle it or Elijah will. Who would you prefer?"

"Wait wait, wouldn't it be better if you showed me how to be a vampire, I mean you're one of the oldest out there. I know how annoying my friends can get. If we leave now you won't have to interact with them at all." Anything to stop him. Klaus'll know I wrecked the treaty and Stefan'll find out I was lying.

"Now I think you're hiding something, love, and I'll find out what it is."

Anxiety thrummed beneath my skin. "Klaus, please. You don't have to do this. I don't want Ric to be in danger."

"The teacher will be fine, little mouse. He's been kept comfortable, we may be killers but we aren't monsters."

"That's bullshit and you know it."

He chuckled. "You've got me, now be a dear and knock on that door for me."

The mansion towered above us.

It should provide me with a sense of calm, to be back here. Movie nights and board games in the living room, Damon telling us happy stories about the adventures he used to go on.

But after everything that'd happened recently, it only filled me with foreboding.

I reluctantly reached out, but before I could knock, the door opened and there stood Caroline, grinning as she put her jacket on, though once she saw us, the smile melted off her face. "Guys." She called over her shoulder, not once taking her eyes off Klaus.

"What is- oh my god, Drew!" Elena ran into view.

Klaus' grip tightened. "Welcome us in, love."

Elena glanced between us and squared her shoulders. "No."

He laughed. I didn't like where this was going. Klaus was in way too chipper a mood. "Invite us in or I'll turn this place to ash."

Stefan and Damon appeared as well.

"Why are you here?" Stefan, ever the hero stepped in front of Elena, putting her square between him and his brother.

"I haven't decided yet."

Elena took a breath. "Come in Klaus and Drew."