Soulmates?

The drive home was a long one, I must've fallen asleep because I woke up to Stefan laying me in my bed.

"Stefan?" I grabbed his hand before he could leave.

"Yeah?"

"I don't want to die."

Stefan sat on the edge of my bed and pulled me into a hug. "You aren't going to die, today was scary, but it's not going to happen again." He promised, it was empty, he didn't know, What if I became a target again?

"I still need to graduate and live my life."

He pulled away. "You will. Damon and I will protect you. Just like we protect Jeremy and Elena. You're going to be alright. Now, I'm going to go check on your sister, are you going to be okay?"

I nodded. "Thanks for coming after us."

"That's my job Drew." Stefan smiled softly and closed the door on the way out.

What if we were in a situation like that again and they had to pick between me and Elena, or me and Jeremy. I wasn't positive they'd pick me.

I snuggled under my covers. Hopefully I'd be able to dream tonight.

...

"What happened Darling?" Kol asked as soon as I entered the dark room.

"What do you mean?"

"When you didn't come last night, I was worried. I almost thought that you wouldn't show up again. Have I done something to offend you?" Kol paced

"I was kidnapped." I wrapped my arms around myself. "With Elena."

"What?" Kol froze. "What happened!?" He demanded, marching forward and grabbing hold of me. He took a breath, closing his eyes. "What happened?" He was calmer this time.

Maybe it was that I'd seen Elijah do it, but I could've sworn that he'd made the same exact expression.

"The kidnappers wanted to trade us for their freedom, Elena because she's the doppelgänger and I think I was supposed to be extra incentive. Then a guy named Elijah came an-"

"Elijah was there?" Kol looked like he was torn between relief and horror.

"Yeah? He was weirdly gentle with me and he was interested in this." I held out my wrist.

"Did you escape?" He asked carefully.

"Stefan and Damon came to our rescue, they killed Elijah." 

Kol let out a breath and chuckled. "They didn't kill him, not unless they had a white oak stake, which I doubt."

"What?"

"He's an original, Darling. Just as I am. We are all notoriously hard to kill." He brushed a hair behind my ear. "Elijah will only be angry when he wakes. Though out of all my siblings, I'm grateful you met him. He honors soulmate bonds, as rare as they are."

"Soulmate? Original?"

"When I was born, I had this." He pushed his sleeve up, showing a birthmark that looked exactly like mine. "Only a few people born every century are marked. Now usually their soulmate is alive at the same time as themselves. Seems fate knew I'd be a vampire." He smiled softly. "I cannot wait to meet you, my love."

"Wait." I stepped away from him. "You're a vampire and my soulmate?"

"One of the very first vampires, but I need you to listen closely. Stay away from Elijah and especially Niklaus. Do not tell anyone you are my soulmate. I mean it, not even your little friends. Do you understand?"

"But why? Why would they want to hurt me?" Not that it even mattered, Kol was only a dream. Hardly real.

He sighed. "Elijah won't hurt you, or he won't unless you provoke him. Niklaus is the one you really have to worry about. He's killed every one of Bekah's lovers and if I didn't drain mine, he would have. He's not a fan of anyone he believes would take his siblings away. Though he does that himself." Kol muttered that last part under his breath. "As for the rest of the supernatural community, it is believed that if one kills an unbounded soulmate, you will gain your own." He sighed. "I know this is a lot of information, you will get used to it, I promise."

"But why me? Why was I born with a soulmate?"

Kol reached out, and I let him take my hand. "You are my perfect antithesis. From the moment we meet in reality, you will be my entire world, you are now, but it's a little different in person."

"But you're a vampire and I'm human. Eventually I'm going to die."

"I'll turn you. If that is what you desire. If not, I'll stay with you and protect you so you can live as long a life. You will want for nothing."

"If all of that is true, why haven't you found me yet?"

He kissed my knuckles. "My infernal brother, Niklaus, daggered me, I'm trapped until he deems I've learned my lesson from the last time I was awake." Kol held my hand to his chest. "Believe me, I'd be with you in a heartbeat if I were able."

"I do. Believe you." Was he real? Was I making this all up in my head? It all seemed a little too good to be true. Why would I have a soulmate over my sister, wasn't she the chosen one?

That fuzzy awareness dimmed the already dark room around us.

"Until next time, Dear Heart. Remember, stay away from Niklaus and Elijah."