Chapter 5

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Yuri's POV  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

She taught me how to dance?! We danced together?! Why don't I remember any of this?!?!? I went and got dance lessons after that just so I could ask her to dance!!!! Surely I'd remember holding her close!! That's all I've wanted for years!!

"Wait... Is that why you refused to dance with me at the Russian embassy's spring ball...?"

"Yes... I knew you didn't remember what happened at Christmas, so I couldn't get mad at you... but, honestly, Yuri... I really wanted to slap you when you asked."

"You can slap me now!! I totally deserve it!!! I'm so sorry, Senpai!! I never meant to be such an ass!!!" You turn your cheek, waiting for her to hit you.

When she doesn't, you reach for her hand and tap it against your jaw trying to convince her. "Please! Do something!!!! I've been terrible!!" you beg, but she just shakes her head and strokes your cheek instead.

"Why?"

Your voice is weak.

"Because I forgave you a long time ago."

But her voice is even weaker.

You cannot fathom why, so you ask - cautiously - genuinely afraid of hearing what you might have done to deserve forgiveness.

"You were just a kid..."

Jumping up from the table you snap, "That is NOT justification for my behaviour!"

"No, I'm not saying it is..." Her eyes are so soft, so pained, as she gazes up at you. "But it's not like you were a jerk the rest of the time... You were sweet and helpful and I knew you weren't doing it to be an ass after you gave me that letter."

"What... letter...?" You gave her a lot letters in those two years, but all from other people. The letters you wrote yourself were all business. You never put your feelings for her into a letter.

"You really don't remember then?"

You shake your head.

"I think you were actually sober when you wrote it, but you were definitely drunk when you gave it to me."

"Oh god... not again..." you mutter as you pull the wooden chair back to the table.

"Well, that one wasn't a proposal."

"Oh?"

"Not... exactly..."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  POV Switch  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The office was quiet for the first month of the new year. Beyond the usual paperwork, the only event you had to plan for was the little department Valentine's Day party.

No one had ever held such an event at the ministry before given that almost no one knew about or celebrated Valentine's Day in Germany. Hence, the party was really just for your office since several of your co-workers had lived in countries where the festivities are considered standard.

With the beginning of the year being relatively slow and no official holidays between Christmas and Easter, Valentine's made a great excuse to add colour to the dreary winter scenery. Yuri was a great help - as always - stringing paper hearts together, cutting strips of coloured paper to make into streamers, picking up chocolates and candy and cake for the event.