Chapter 6

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Yuri's POV  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"Though it wasn't really a proposal, it was the most honest expression of your feelings to that point. It felt like a proposal in it's own way because every question sought and answer... an answer only I could give..." she murmurs gently.

That wasn't a letter... That was a page from the daily journal you kept... There were a few times you scrawled out your mess of emotions in an attempt to find some clarity, but never with the intention of anyone, let alone her, reading them.

"Senpai, I don't understand... Surely, you must have hated me after all that... Why didn't you have me transferred to another department or something?"

"I wanted to hate you for leading me on, but I couldn't. Every time I heard your voice or saw you smile, I only loved you more. How could I let you go when you were so precious to me?"

"Then, you could have at least told me I was being such a jerk!!"

"I guess should've called you out for it, but I honestly thought you weren't ready for a relationship if you couldn't express yourself without drinking. I didn't want to force you into something... or push you away by cornering you..."

Force what? Push me away? Wait... Did she just say she loved me?!?!!!!

Choking on your own tongue, you barely manage to ask, "Senpai, you... liked me?"

"You're asking me that sincerely, aren't you?" Her shoulders curve forward as she pulls her legs up on the chair and into her chest. "Of course, I liked you, Yuri... If I didn't, I wouldn't have put up with six proposals. Though I guess the one earlier tonight makes that seven."

"There were... more... after the letter?"

"Mhm," she hums gently, eyes downcast as she rests her chin on her knees.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  POV Switch  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

After the special council session in April that year, the Council for Mutual Economic Assistance declared the development of the Comprehensive Program for the Further Extension and Improvement of Cooperation and the Further Development of Socialist Economic Integration by CMEA Member Countries - known within the ministry simply as the Komplexprogramm.

Though it would be another two years until the program would be officially implemented, a ministry-wide conference was held that September to discuss the GDR's role in supporting economic development in other communist states.

While the USSR was by far the largest donor to Cuba, the GDR was second, which meant a more active role in diplomatic relations there than to other socialist governments under the care of Russia. With this year being the tenth anniversary of Communist Party rule in Cuba, and the obvious impending economic crisis about to hit them, efforts to integrate Cuba into the CMEA were prioritized across the ministry.

The economists who specialized in analyzing Latin American affairs performed an in-depth report and concluded that the creation of justified norms and performance related pay would be the most important task for the GDR's mission in Cuba.

The socialist performance principle would apply: Each according to his or her abilities, each according to his or her achievements, producing the correct proportions between labour productivity and wages, will raise labour productivity, increase effectiveness, and enhance the quality of products.