27

Kie's POV:

The next day, I was at the chateau with everyone sitting at the table about to have dinner that Sarah and John B made together. JJ came and sat next to me and we all started eating. The night had been pretty normal. JJ and I talked in the group conversation but nothing alone.

We were about halfway through our meal when I got a text. It was from Rafe.

Rafe: I miss you baby, please come over. I need you. So fucking bad. I love you

Rafe: Don't ignore me! I know you read my message. Come on, come sleep over. It will be fun

Rafe: Fucking respond to me

I suddenly felt like I was going to throw up. I excused myself from the table and stepped outside. A few seconds later, JJ came out and asked, "Everything okay?"

"Can I show you something without you freaking out?" I asked nervously as I didn't know if it was a good idea to tell him

I showed him my phone and he read the messages. He asked, "Have you been talking to him?"

"No, this is just Rafe being manipulative"

"He's an ass" JJ said still holding my phone and he looked at the screen

"Just block him and try to ignore it. I'll make sure he doesn't pull anything else" JJ said

We stayed at the chateau that night, all of us. JJ and Pope gave me the second bedroom , which I told them I didn't need. I fell asleep and woke up the next day and we went to the beach and went surfing.

John B was teaching Sarah how to surf and I didn't have my board with me. JJ and Pope were out in the water and I was sitting alone in the sand watching and taking pictures of Sarah and John B.

I never noticed before but JJ was an amazing surfer. I now know why the call him the surfer king. He came in from the water and he said, "Your turn"

"No, it's okay"

"I insist" He said and I went out and caught a few waves

I came back and JJ said, "Let's try something"

He got on the board with me. I was laying on my stomach near the front and he laid on his stomach between my legs as we paddeled out. We were going to try tandem surfing together for the first time. When it came time to stand up, I had one foot between JJ's feet and one in front. We caught a few little ones and then we went for a bigger one. We heard the pogues cheering us on. This was kinda cool.

Then out of nowhere, the sky turned dark grey and storm clouds rolled in. The wind began to pick up and we were heading in.

"Shit!" JJ said as a massive wave that wasn't even surfable approached

JJ had the strap attached to his ankle and I had nothing. I began to panic because this wave was going to take us both down.

"JJ! KIE!" John B called out

JJ wrapped both of his arms around me so tight as the wave rolled over us and we both were off the board and underwater. JJ never let go of me as we resurfaced and were being by waves. We got back to the shallow end and we were both coughing up water.

"Are you okay?" Pope asked running in after us

"I'm good, are you?" JJ asked looking at me

"Yeah, thank you" I said realizing if he would have let go of me I would have drowned

We walked out of the water and to the twinkie as it started raining. We went back to the chateau and played board games all day. Tomorrow we all had to go to school.

I left with Sarah and Pope to go home. We dropped Pope off and Sarah said, "Seems like you and JJ got pretty close tonight"

"Ehh, not really"

"Kie, he totally saved you in that wave. John B also told me he never let's anyone use his surfboard. He still loves you"

"He's still pretty pissed at me, Sarah. I really don't want to talk about this anymore" I said as she dropped me off at home

The next two weeks passed by and I only saw the pogues a few times when we hung out together. I was going surfing with Pope and we showed up at the chateau to grab his board.

"Come in quick" Pope said and we walked inside to grab a quick snack

We opened the door and on the pull out couch, there was JJ with some random girl. The girl was dressed like a total slut. She was hugging JJ and he was also hugging her tight. His eyes locked with mine and mine filled with tears. I stormed out of the chateau and Pope followed me.

JJ came out after and yelled, "Kie, please wait"

"No, there is nothing to talk about." I said getting in my car with Pope as I drove to the beach

We didn't even grab Pope's board so we couldn't surf. I didn't even care. Pope and I just went for a walk on the beach. We didn't say much as he knew how pissed and I hurt I was by seeing that. About twenty minutes later, we went back to the chateau. I just wanted to go home and be alone.

When I arrived at the chateau, JJ was waiting outside. Pope got out of the car and JJ quickly got in before I could say anything.

"Kie, that girl is my cousin. There was nothing romantic going on in there"

"Doesn't matter, we aren't dating so screw whoever you want"

"Her name is Kayla and she is twenty-six. She is the daughter of my dad's brother. He passed away from an overdose before I was born. Her parents are both pogues and she grew up like me. I haven't seen her in years. She wanted to talk and asked if she could see my dad again and I told her I didn't want her around him. I explained a little bit about his temper and then she hugged me, That's all that happened, I promise. In fact, I would love for you to meet her"

"Why was she dressed like such a slut?"

"Because she is... But she's the only family I have. Will you go with me now to see her quick?"

"Fine" I agreed and he drove my car to a scary part of the cut

He knocked on the door of a small house and a guy opened it with a cigarette in his mouth.

"Kay, your cousin is here!" The man yelled

Suddenly, the girl appeared and said, "JJ, hey!"

"Hey, Kayla this is Kiara and Kie this is my cousin Kayla"

"Hey" I said to her and it was shocking how much she looked like JJ

She hugged me and said, "I've heard so much about you. Thank you for loving my little cousin who is more like a brother to me"

I laughed and said, "You're welcome"

She invited us inside and we sat on the couch she basically told me about her dad and Luke and how much trouble they'd get in. She had no idea about how bad JJ's abuse had gotten. She was living with a few guys in this small house. One was her boyfriend and the two others were just friends. They were all super nice. JJ and I stayed for around two hours and we left and he was driving home.

"Thank you for introducing me to Kayla. I'm sorry that I thought you were going to sleep with her"

"I don't blame you for thinking that. Thank you for meeting her. It really means a lot to me"

"Of course" I said and he casually grabbed my hand and held it the whole way back to the chateau

It was only a two-minute drive, but it was still super sweet of him. He dropped himself off and I went home. I couldn't stop thinking about how he grabbed and held my hand.