Chapter 5: Demon In The Forest

Author's POV

Naruto ran as fast as he could out of the office he's known for years. Out of the compound of wise faces of the Yamanaka's. And out of the enclosed part of the village of the few people that accepted him. 

He was scared, scared because he was to be locked up away from his dad, never to see him again.

He was sad, sad because the grandfather he thought he was so close to was behind it.

He was lost, lost because...because...

He stopped running as he looked around the dark forest, he was in.

Lost because...he had no idea where he was right now.

He caught his breath from all the running he was doing and took another look. The sun in the sky was blocked by the huge trees that engulfed the forest. 

He then looked behind at the kid sized hole in the fence that he had just ran through. 'He knew that fence, he knew this forest, he knew that sign!'

'Forest Of Death'

His dad had told him about this forest. He said that many dangerous and deadly animals and plants live in this forest. He was told to say away unless he was with an older shinobi.

This was bad, really, really bad. Being in this place was dangerous. But when he really thought about it..., being out there was now dangerous too. If he left out now, they could track him and lock him up away from his dad.

Naruto took a deep breathe as he looked at the village again, then turned into the darkness as he walked into it.

The little boy jumped and shook at the small sounds of the forest. It made him feel far from home and never safe. He didn't know what to think. Where was he gonna go? What was he gonna do?

He felt light-headed as he slid his back down the truck of a tree to the ground. He curled himself up into a ball as he felt like crying. Until...that's exactly what he heard.

A cry, small and stifled, not too far away. He jumped up and looked around. Because of the Nine-Tails, it didn't take him long to pinpoint the sound. 

He ran in the direction it was coming from. Over logs, under bushes, then he stopped. Not because he found the source of the cry, but because he smelled something awful. He knew the smell, but he didn't want to think that it was. But looking at the ground, confirmed his worst fear. 

Blood

Splattered on the ground in a trail. A part of him didn't want to follow anymore, shoot, MOST of him didn't want to follow anymore. But a piece of him, a very, very small piece of him told him to go, MADE him go. 

So he ran. Eyes on the ground to the sight of the blood, ears up to the sound of the cry. He had to see who it was, but with how much blood that was on the ground, he didn't think it was a who, I mean 'what kind of person could survive with this much blood lost?'

Then the trail stopped. Blood was pooled in one area. There were a few drops in an area or two, but none pointing in another direction. 

The only thing around was a tire, a hill, and a pile of leaves in front of it. Oh and a candy wrapper! 'Wait, a candy wrapper?' The boy looked at the wrapper. There wasn't just one, there were many. 'Who had been out here?'