Chapter Four

He's not sure how it starts exactly. It's an accident, he's almost certain, a coincidence—that he finds himself heading up to the astronomy tower almost every night after his friends have gone to sleep. Another coincidence, that Regulus is always there. It's strange how quickly he starts to know Regulus. The different ways he smiles without using his mouth. Or how he tugs at his fingers when he gets nervous. James doesn't know what it means that he notices these things. He doesn't try to figure it out. Maybe he doesn't want to.

"You're telling me you've been at this school for four years," James is lying on his back, arms thrown behind his head as a cushion, "and you've never stepped foot in the Forbidden Forest?"

"Excuse me for taking the 'Forbidden' part of the name seriously," Regulus says from where he's sitting, one knee pulled up, chin resting on top.

James snorts. "Right little rule follower aren't you?"

"I just happen to be in possession of something called common sense, you might want to try it."

"Pfft," James says dismissively, "sounds dead boring."

"Yes, well, you would think so."

James pushes himself up onto his elbows so that he can look at Regulus properly. He seems different like this, curled up, shirt untucked. Soft, James's brain supplies, he looks soft.

"I'll take you," he's says finally.

Regulus arches his brow. "You'll take me where?"

"The forest, obviously."

Regulus makes a disapproving huff. "I'm not going in there."

"Aw come on," James knocks his foot against Regulus's. "You'll love it, promise."

"Somehow I doubt that."

"Listen, if you're scared—"

"I'm not scared," Regulus interrupts sharply, and James does his best not to laugh.

"I'm not scared," he repeats. "I'm smart. There's a difference."

"If you say so," James knocks his foot again, this time staying there, pressed to Regulus's ankle. "But my point was that if you did happen to be scared," James holds up his hand the minute he sees Regulus open his mouth, "which you aren't, obviously. But if you were, you should know that you'd have a distinct advantage going in there with me."

Regulus snorts. "And why's that?"

"Because," James grins. "Gryffindors are contractually obligated to sacrifice themselves. So you'll have a decent head start while whatever terrible monster we run into feasts on my flesh."

There's a beat of silence before Regulus drops his face into his knees, shoulders shaking with laughter.

Making regulus laugh is new. Good new. Really good new. It feels like scoring a goal in a quidditch match. Like scoring the winning goal.

"I can't believe you stole a Snitch," Regulus says, batting the ball in question away from his face.

James smiles, catching it easily in his hand as it starts zooming over the edge of the tower. "Really? You can't believe it?"

Regulus rolls his eyes, but James can tell he's trying not to smile.

"Besides," he goes on, feeling smug. "I'm not stealing, just...borrowing."

"Of course you are."

James tosses the Snitch up and down a few times before he notices Regulus watching him. The younger boy quickly turns back to his telescope.