Chapter Twenty-Two

Sometimes, when Regulus is in a good mood, when he feels safe, he'll let James touch him. Not in a sex way—though there is a bit of that too, something in the space between them that cracks and sparks and burns. But these touches are different, they're soft and exploratory and caring. Like James can pull all of Regulus's wounds closed, like he can rub away his scars. Like he can teach him how to love his skin. He can tell that he doesn't, that Regulus and his body have a difficult relationship.

He runs his hands gently through his hair, along the outline of his jaw, his lower lip, he counts the ribs in his chest and circles every one of his knuckles. Worshipping him. Regulus closes his eyes and breathes in deep, slowly letting himself relax. Taking down his walls piece by piece until it's just him—naked even while fully clothed.

"You're obsessed," Regulus's voice is low, rough from lack of use. James isn't sure how long they've been lying here like this. A while, probably.

"With you? Absolutely."

He sees the corner of Regulus's mouth twitch upwards and feels satisfaction purr in his chest before he leans forward and presses a quick kiss to his lips. He likes being able to do that, casually, likes how natural it feels. He's currently drawing small circles on the inside of Regulus's wrist.

"We should probably go back soon."

James makes a noise of protest, something whiny at the back at his throat that makes Regulus laugh, blinking his eyes open and turning to James. All soft and sleepy. This is James's favourite Regulus. I mean, he likes them all, but this one especially.

"You're such a baby, you know that?"

"It's been mentioned." He draws his finger slowly up Regulus's arm making the other boy shiver, eyes fluttering closed again.

"Cheating," Regulus sighs.

When he has good days like this, and this is an exceptionally good day, James realizes just how sensitive Regulus is. The lighter the touch the more it seems to take him apart, untangling all those knots that keep him together.

"I can't cheat if there are no rules."

Regulus snorts. "There are rules. The rules are don't get caught."

"No one can find us here."

"I wouldn't put it past Sirius, especially if you don't come back for the second night this week."

James's hand stills, and even though he tries to recover—moving it again a second later—Regulus notices.

"James?"

James doesn't look at his face, instead he focuses on where his finger is currently moving along the skin just under Regulus's collar.

"Something you want to tell me?" he can already hear the tension returning to Regulus's voice.

He sighs, pausing for a moment before letting his hand drop down onto the mattress. "Only if you promise not to freak out."

Regulus's eyes narrow. "That doesn't sound promising."

"It's really not a big deal."

"James, please tell me what's going on and what it has to do with my brother?"

"Right, sorry," he says, frowning when Regulus sits up, pulling away from him. "So—er—Sirius might know that I'm seeing someone."

He can feel the stillness rock through Regulus, like every muscle in his body has just clenched.

"He doesn't know who," James goes on quickly, "just knows that it's some boy."

"Boy," Regulus repeats. "He knows you're seeing a boy?" There's an edge of panic to Regulus's voice and James can see him scrambling to pull his walls back up again.