Chapter Twenty-Four

PART I: REMUS

The day of his mother's funeral Remus walks into the dorm room to find his three best friends dressed in black suits. He stops in front of the door, staring at them, his own suit heavy on his skin. They're well into fall but the fabric somehow still manages to feel suffocating.

"Where did you get those?" he asks eventually, having to clear his throat to get the words out.

"Have a little faith Moony," James says. "We know how to buy Muggle clothes."

"Lily got them for us," Peter says, earning him an elbow to the ribs.

Remus arches his brow. "She got you three perfectly tailored suits?" he tries not to let his eyes linger on Sirius, on the way the clothes hug his chest and thighs.

"She used magic for the tailoring," James admits. "But—uh—we couldn't figure out the—uh—long cravat things," he tugs on his collar.

Remus blinks, and then; "Ties you mean?" realizing suddenly that not one of them is wearing a tie, making them look rather more like some sort of rock band than funeral guests. He almost smiles.

"Lily didn't know how to tie them and we couldn't find a spell," he shuffles his feet. "Is that okay? Or do we need to—"

"No," Remus croaks. "No, it's fine. It suits you," he blinks a few times, getting the moisture out of his eyes. "So you're coming then?"

James looks taken aback by the question but it's Sirius who speaks first.

"Do you want us there?"

Remus meets his eyes for the first time. His beautiful eyes, on his beautiful face, wearing his beautiful suit. It's too much really.

"Yes," he says softly.

"Then we'll be there."

He thinks about kissing him. Doesn't. But he doesn't look away either, desperate to suck the calm confidence out of Sirius's stare, to steal it for himself.

"Well," James says eventually, "we should get going, we have to be in Hogsmeade by half-past nine for the Portkey."

Remus shakes himself awake. "Right, yeah, um—thank you...for...coming."

James's face softens as he walks forward, hand squeezing Remus's shoulder. "You don't need to thank us. This is what we're here for."

They make their way out of the room, James and Peter up front, Sirius and Remus behind, walking close enough that their shoulders brush.

When they get to the common room Remus is pulled up short for the second time that morning, Sirius landing on the stair just below him, looking up.

"Wow, fantastic job with the suits," Mary says impressed, eyes running the boys over.

Mary, Marlene and Lily are standing in the middle of the common room, each dressed in black and looking very much like they've been waiting for them.

Remus opens his mouth but nothing comes out except a shaky exhale. After a few more of those Sirius reaches up, squeezing his hand until Remus is able to tear his eyes away from his friends and down to his—well—down to Sirius.

"Okay?" Sirius asks.

Remus almost laughs. Almost cries. Finally he manages a nod.

"Well alright then," Mary's voice cuts through the quiet room. "Lets get this show on the road shall we?"

"McGonagall okay with this?" Remus finds himself asking as they make their way out of the common room and towards the front of the castle.

Marlene snorts. "Like Lily gave her a choice."