Chapter Six

"Holy shit James," Abbott practically crashes into him when they land back on the ground, slapping his back as Alice comes from behind and messes up his hair.

"I've never seen anyone fly like that!" Abbott gushes. "We're going to destroy Ravenclaw!"

"You did good kiddo," Alice smiles, the rest of the team landing around them.

James just grins, big and toothy, a little breathless from the fly. Sirius rolls up beside him, knocking their shoulders together.

"I give you a six out of ten, not enough showmanship for my taste," he winks.

"You're enough of a showman for the rest of us Black," Frank says, pushing his goggles to the top of his head.

"Okay team, I'm feeling good about that practice—Macdonald, tighten up your passes, Abbott, you still need to work on not projecting your blocks, and Potter?"

"Yessir?" James says, bringing his hand up to his forehead in a mock salute. The older boy ignores him.

"Fly like that on Saturday and I'll take back everything bad I've ever said about you."

"Wait, what have you—"

"Hit the showers everybody. I expect you back on this pitch at six tomorrow morning."

"But what have you said—" the team disperses, Frank walking away like James isn't very clearly speaking to him. "Alice?" he turns to the older girl pleadingly, but she only smiles, clicking her tongue.

"Sorry James, my lips are sealed."

"Oh really, cause that's not what I—ow," Sirius cuts off as she smacks the back of his head on her way to the locker room.

"Merlin," Sirius stares after her, rubbing the back of his head. "I love that woman."

James makes a juvenile snort, patting his friend on the back. "She's out of your league mate."

"Don't I know it."

"Oi, Black!"

They both turn towards Mary, who is currently leaning against the entrance to the field, crooking her finger in a come-hither motion.

"Think she means me?" James asks, earning him an elbow to the side.

"I'll catch you later, yeah?" Sirius says as he jogs backwards towards her.

"You better not be late you prat, we have a party to prepare for!"

"Yes mum," he says with a cheeky grin.

James rolls his eyes, smiling despite himself. "Wanker," he whispers under his breath as he heads towards the locker room.

"You seem in high spirits."

James looks over, surprised to find Marlene falling into step with him.

"It was a good practice," he shrugs.

"Uh-huh."

James arches his brow. "Why do you look like you're plotting my death McKinnon?"

"I just feel like you've been awfully chipper the last few days. "

"I'm a very upbeat person, it's one of my many excellent qualities."

"One might even say you're glowing."

"I do have great skin."

Marlene laughs, punching him in the arm. "I'm going to figure it out, you know."

"Figure it out?" James asks. "You mean the secret to my great skin? Sorry, but that's all genetics baby."

But Marlene will not be deterred, eyes wide and bright the way they get when she spots the snitch. "She's not in Gryffindor, I know that much."