Love is... wait, what? - Part 6

1 hour later...

"Hey, I'm ready, what are you doing?" Ingrid asked while putting her bracelet on. It was a common made-of-steel bracelet. She was wearing a white turtleneck, a black long skirt and a pair of high-heeled black leather boots. She was not comfortable with the latter, she definitely preferred wearing her armour.

"I'm ready, too." Amphion came out of the bathroom. He was wearing a claret suit, a black shirt underneath it, a black belt, a pair of black trousers and loafers. Ingrid stared at him, with an eyebrow raised, she was making quite the exhasperated face.

"What are you staring at?" Amphion asked.

"Don'tyou think... that's a bit too much?" She answered. Amphion was surprised.

"What? I've been told this is what people usually wear during parties. Never been to one."

"Neither have I. What you've been told is right... partly. Parties aren't all the same. The suit is good if you're going to a formal one, this is not the case." Ingrid went in front of Amphion. She unbuttoned his suit and took it off of him.

"Yep. That's better." She threw his suit away, on his bed.

"Also..." Ingrid got close to Amphion once again. This time, she unbuttoned the top button of his shirt.

"There you go, this is why you looked like a dumbass." Ingrid smiled. Amphion got annoyed instead, finally having a reaction at Ingrid's words.

"Wow, thank you." He said, his tone filled with sarcasm.

"Right decision. At least I told you right away, if you had gone downstairs like that, people would have badmouthed you as if there was no tomorrow." Ingrid patted Amphion's left shoulder and moved past him.

"I can't let that happen to my army's vice-commander, can I? Let's go." Ingrid opened the door, Amphion turned and followed her.

"How do you know all these things if you've never been to a party?" Amphion asked while Ingrid and him were walking side by side towards the stairs.

"It is no big deal. Since I've never been to a party in my life, I realized that dressing properly could have been one of my "weak spots", so I did some research." She answered. While looking at her, Amphion noticed Ingrid was a bit clumsy. This was serious. If even someone like Amphion, who never pays attention to others, notices something about you, then that means it is evident.

"Are you ok?" He asked, with a furrowed brow.

"Yes, I am." Ingrid answered immediately. Amphion shrugged. They reached the stairs. Ingrid sighed.

"But the hardness of walking with these devilish boots... that was the one thing I had not seen coming." She said.

"Are you sure you don't want me to help you with the stairs?" Amphion asked.

"No, stair railings exist for a reason. I'm fine." She answered.

"Fine." Amphion started walking down the stairs. Was he a jerk? Partly. Amphion is not dull, he knows what gallantry is and he was well aware of what he was doing. But if Ingrid says no, then it's no. Indeed, this was what she wanted. If Amphion had insisted, she would have gotten mad at him.