Love is... wait, what? - Part 8

About 30 minutes later...

Amphion and Ingrid managed to get away without anyone noticing them. The first thing Ingrid did once she entered the room was taking off her boots. Then, she threw herself on her bed, landing on her stomach.

"Are you tired?" Amphion asked.

"I'm bored. It's been boring for quite a while now. Maybe I should just sleep." Ingrid replied while burying her face in the pillow. The room fell silent.

"But, to answer your question, no, I'm not tired." She later added while raising her head from the pillow. Amphion looked at her, then he thought about something. He started walking towards the wardrobe, Ingrid followed him with her eyes, once again curious of what he had in mind. Amphion opened the wardrobe and started searching for something. He threw away a couple of his garments, until he finally reached a pair of trousers. He inserted both of his hands in the trousers' pockets and pulled something out of them.

"Here it is, I knew it." He said.

"What's that?" Ingrid asked while sitting up on the bed. Amphion turned and showed her. It was a deck of cards, still packed.

"I always bring one of these with me. Eirik wanted to play again against me once the war was over... but he died. The last time we played, he won, you know?" Amphion smiled slightly. A bitter smile. He was hiding his grief.

"I always bring one with me to... show respect to his death, sort of? I'd like to say it reminds me of him, but I could actually never forget a guy like him." He added. Ingrid got up and got closer to him.

"I didn't think you were the kind of person who pays respect to the dead." She said.

"I'm also a vengeful one at times, I'd like to remind you I have the demons' lord's head in my accommodation." Amphion smirked after replying.

"Nasty." Ingrid smiled at him. Her smile was bitter as well. Amphion and Ingrid had a similar attitude when it came to feelings.

"Anyway, I've played against Eirik countless times. I've played against everyone that time in Eleri's room. Everyone but you."

"You didn't know how to play 7&1/2, I had to help you. Do you want to steal from me? I know how lucky you are, I saw you win both on that occasion and at the casino."

"Eirik was the gambler. I don't like betting. I always gave him his money back. No money involved, how does that sound?" Ingrid stared at Amphion. The room went silent once again. Eventually, Ingrid replied, a bit hesitantly:

"Fine, I'll play."