Love is... wait, what? - Part 13

Amphion opened his eyes wide out of surprise.

"You said telling me the story of your life was pointless. But what you just did is pointless as well. I won't show disrespect to your past, I'm not that... grumpy, if that's how you call me, but this is too much. Your eyes are not that scary, covering them is hardly necessary. They might have scared someone away when you were younger, but people grow, they grow stronger, the people you spend your time with would think they're odd, because they're undoubtedly different, but they won't be scared of you." Ingrid said with a firm tone. Amphion got a bit nervous. Ingrid understood that: Amphion's face was different.

"You say that just because you've seen worse..." Amphion replied, without making eye contact.

"I do understand that you covered them just in case... and that my words won't change your course of action... but still..." Ingrid put her left hand on Amphion's cheek, moving his head and forcing him to make eye contact with her again.

"I am not scared. I even like the colour. From now on, you'll only cover your eyes when you're with other people... but when we're together, and alone, you will show me your eyes. Always. You don't get a say." Ingrid's tone was firm once again. Amphion didn't look convinced at all. Ingrid got annoyed by that.

"Seriously, though, how the heck have I fallen for someone as stupid as you?" So she started insulting.

"Then what should Eleri do? Something like locking herself up and never show herself again?"

"Eleri is far too kind. That trait of her makes up for everything else. I don't have such trait." Amphion finally answered.

"You don't have to possess that trait, I don't need you to have it. Perhaps, if you had had it, we wouldn't even have been here now." That last sentence caught Amphion off guard.

"And you consider that... a fortune?" He asked.

"I kissed you, in case you haven't realized yet. Of course I consider it a fortune!" Ingrid replied. Amphion chuckled.

"You would have said the opposite, two months ago."

"People grow, I told you."

"True." Ingrid leaned in for a kiss, but Amphion rejected her this time and took a step back. Talking about Eleri's kindness and nature reminded him of Eirik, it reminded him of that time Eirik had told him he was interested in Eleri, in a romantic way. And now Eirik is dead. Amphion took even more steps back.

"We can't." He said. Ingrid "chased" him.

"What's stopping you?" For a brief moment, Ingrid thought about the fact that maybe her feelings were not reciprocated. Even though they were, Ingrid did not know that for certain. And at first, she had ruled out that possibility, since she had always had everything her way. For a split second, she panicked.

"We are warriors... you're the defender and I'm the vice-commander. Our lives are at stake way too often. And we have an important role, we can't let feelings get in the way. And if something were to happen, you..." Amphion's words reassured Ingrid, kinda. He hadn't even noticed, but he did admit he had feelings for her with that speech. Ingrid interrupted him mid-sentence:

"You're scared I might die? Now that's offensive. I'm not going anywhere. Worry about yourself..." However, Amphion did the same, interrupting her:

"Stop acting cocky! You don't know that for certain! And I'm half-immortal by the way, you wouldn't have to worry as much as I would." Amphion's tone had become more aggressive too. Amphion had never done something like that. Ingrid liked it, she slightly smiled. He was showing he did care about her.

"If you have feelings for me... and something bad were to happen... it would destroy you anyway, relationship or not." Ingrid pointed out. Amphion was using logic and was thinking about possibilities. So Ingrid played by his cards. She was just as good as Amphion at relying on logic and she was way better than him at considering possibilities.

"I can try to control them." Amphion said.

"All right. What if you don't manage to do that?" Ingrid asked. Amphion was about to reply, but he stopped and raised an eyebrow.

"Hm. I'll... something." He said.

"You'll come to me and ask to talk about it. We'll start all over again. That is pointless." As I've stated, Ingrid is way better at considering possibilities. Amphion sighed. Ingrid got close to Amphion once again.

"So, have you made up your mind? Or do you want me to say stuff like "I love you"?" Ingrid asked, smiling. Amphion smiled too.

"Would you actually do that?" He asked.

"For you, I could make an effort. But..." Ingrid placed her arms on Amphion's shoulders.

"It would be much easier for me if you just kissed me now." She said. Amphion grabbed Ingrid from her hips and pulled her even closer to him.

"Can do." He said. They both closed their eyes and kissed each other. Even though they were being less "savage" than before, at least this time they were aware of what they were doing, aware of what they were feeling, it was not instinct anymore, but it was not reason either, it was love. Yes, love. True love, something they had built without even realizing it. Without even being in a relationship, without making it official, because that really isn't what matters. What matters is what they've faced together, and what they will face. Together. After a while, Ingrid broke the kiss:

"Let's get back to our room." She said.

"No way, I'm not getting dressed again... let's get to the restroom and lock the door." Amphion replied. Ingrid giggled.

"Sounds perfect."