chapter three: the other side

Hawkins, The Right Side Up

Steve, Robin and Dustin had more or less been in the waiting room of that God-awful hospital, cram packed with panicking residents of Hawkins, for around 6 hours. Absolute silence as they waited for any sign of the doctor. Mrs Henderson perched next to Dustin with a tissue pressed to her nose, stray tears continuing to fall.

Robin focused on the hustle and bustle around her; her busy mind needing occupied with anything to stop her from spiralling into a million questions.

Steve on the other hand lent forward, his elbows on his knees, his head in his hands, waiting for any type of news.

"Daphne Henderson," the Doctor with a clipboard shouted as he walked towards the room, all four standing upright. "Daphne Henderson's guardian," He huffed at the teenagers, Mrs Henderson sniffling as she pushed herself forward.

"Yes, that's me," She nodded furiously, Dustin chewing on his thumb.

"We believe that Daphne has fallen into a coma," The doctor sighed as Mrs Henderson whimpered.

"What— what do you mean fallen into a coma?" Steve shakes his head at the doctor, "Someone just can't fall into a coma— she was fine, she was laughing, she—"

"A coma is a deep state of unconsciousness, it can result from an injury or illness whereby the brain shuts down to heal itself. It can last for just a few days but there are incidences where—"

"We know what a coma is," Steve snapped, not allowing the doctor to even finish what he was saying because he knew he was going to tell them that there's a chance she may never wake up.

"So— so there's nothing you can do?" Robin asked, "You could— you could do tests!"

"We're waiting for results. But so far, we can't see any abnormalities. Apart from the bump to her head, Daphne is perfectly healthy. It doesn't appear to have impacted her." The doctor shrugged at the four faces, "Sometimes these things just happen."

"Just happen?" Dustin scoffed, pulling at his curls as he laughs in disbelief. "This is Vecna, Steve," Dustin turned to him, the confused looks of the Doctor and his Mom.

"Look, we have a lot of patients. I'm sorry, we can make her comfortable." The doctor sped through the group as they glanced at her door.

"Oh, God, I need a minute," Mrs Henderson sniffled into her handkerchief, rushing out of the room and through the mass of people.

The three didn't think twice about going into Daphne's room, plugged up to machines to monitor her pulse and brainwave activity.

Steve's heart broke.

The girl in front of him laying still on the bed, a deep sleep, monitors surrounding her. He watched as Dustin headed to the side of her, holding her hand in his as he willed her to wake up. Robin's eyes glazing over as she gulped back the lump in her throat.

"You gotta wake up, alright, Daph? You gotta wake up."

Hawkins, The Upside Down

"You gotta wake up, alright, Daph? You gotta wake up." The echoed, muffled voice stopped Daphne in her tracks.