Chapter 22: Why am I here??

Might pause in the middle of his talk. From the body language that he shows and his hesitating expression, I could guess what he was trying to tell me.

'he must have discovered my father's affair.'

And the reason why he was so worried to convey this to me, was probably because he thought I might get angry if I discovered it.

'However, he was mistaken... I already know everything so, it doesn't matter now.'

That's why I decide to just urge him to tell me quickly.

"related to what? My father?"

"-!!!!"

Upon hearing my words, Might look so shocked. His eyes turn wide. There's fear that also shows up a second afterwards,

"m-milord... Wha-what are you saying??"

"I already hear all sorts of rumors about this, so nothing would shock me now. Did you really think I would ask you to do this investigation without prior knowledge regarding it?"

"it-it's not like that, milord."

"then what? Just tell me everything now."

Because I already know all about it from my previous life, I just want to skip this fast and save those families.

'so don't hesitate and tell me, Might. 

This is nothing new to me.'

That is what I thought when something unexpected comes out of Might's mouth that completely throws me off guard.

****************

A week later, after a few preparations. 

Me, Might, and a few knights, together, descend towards the slum.

From Might's report, the pair's house was quite deep in the slum. So we have to walk for about half an hour on foot there.

step step*

We made a few turns left and right before finally arriving in front of the door of quite an 'antic' house.

'it looks like it's about to collapse with just a little touch.'

The door looks so old, that it might really crumble at any minute. But still,

knock knock*

I knock on that door carefully.

And the sound of a small movement could be heard coming from the inside, rushing towards the door. 

'it must be that boy.'

As his mother was already on her deathbed, that was the only conclusion that I could make.

We all waited patiently, holding our breath.

creak*

The door then swings open, showing the body of a boy who was as tall as my waist between the door's gaps.

Our gaze then shifted towards him as the boy was also looking up at us, with a facial that was full of concern and on the verge of tears, he shout desperately, reaching out his hand towards me,

"Please help me, sir!!!"

he didn't even bother to check who we were or what we want. In that moment of panic, all his mind could focused on only his mother's condition. No matter how stranger we are, as long as we can help him, he courageously holds onto us.

Just like how this tiny hand currently grabs my hand unhesitatingly and desperately tries to drag me to follow him.

"Please follow me, sir, and help me... I'm begging you."

Although he doesn't even know whether I can help or not. He just clings to hope that I can.

'this...really different from the past.'

The boy that I met in my previous life isn't like this.

He wasn't the type of person that act based on impulse or emotion. And most often, he was wary of me and the others.

'so for him to suddenly drag a stranger like me into the house...'

it's really unthinkable. Unless...

'did something happen to his mom?'

My thought reach there as a commotion broke down around me before I know it.

"Take your hand off milord!!!"

My knights unsheathed their swords towards the boy, while Might was stunned and reacted belatedly. So do I who was so distracted. And the boy who was shocked by the sudden blade pointed at him, unconsciously let go of my hand, and stumbled down before falling on his butt.

"aahhh...i-i'm..."

His lips let loose a sound of shriek for a second as he stutters to come up with an excuse for us. His expression that full of grief becomes mixed with fear, causing his whole body to tremble and his eyes to shake. A few seconds afterwards, a tear begins to drip from the corner of his eyes little by little and,

hiccup*

Yield to his condition, his mouth hiccupping nonstop which he tries to silence by closing his mouth with both hands. Yet fail as the sound still coming out.

hicc*

'what a mess....'

My inside sighed as I saw how troublesome this situation is.

even so, my knights who didn't know my thoughts, they keep getting closer to the child to put more pressure on him. And I quickly stop them.

"Stop it."

"But, milord..."

"he's just a child.

Do you really need to do this much?"

"That's..."

"Sheath back your sword, apologize, and to your position."

Order me unfazed.

They then pause for a moment before reluctantly sheathing back their sword, bowing slightly to me while saying,

"yes, milord."

They then turn toward the boy and repeated the same action.

"we apologize, boy."

 Surprised by their act, the boy stares speechlessly between me and them while still trembling. Which I don't mind as I shake my head helplessly before slowly walking toward the child. 

Their attention thus falls on me.

"calm down."

I say as I extended my hand toward the boy whose body unconsciously flinched towards my action.

"they did it for me, so I apologize for causing this."

"milord-"

"-Did you get hurt, boy??"

I continued to speak to stop one of my knights from interrupting me. At that time, my eyes were still observing the child's body from bottom to top. From my point of view, he looks fine.

'No visible wounds or anything except some dirt on the face and hands.'

however, that is only on the outside, nothing is certain on the inside. So for sure, the question is necessary. However, looking at the child now, he seemed unable to answer me, perhaps because he was still afraid of us.

...*

Therefore, only after a moment of silence and my hands hanging in the air, the child finally spoke as his body moved to kneel in front of me. 

"i-i'm fine... it-it's me who's being rude."

He then without me able to react, 

"so-so-so..."

Prostrating before me, asking for my forgiveness.

"Please forgive me!!!"

This action of him... really left us speechless.

**********

To be continued.