Face To Face

I'm dead silent for a moment, staring at the dark phone screen apprehensively before I make myself respond.

"Clarissa. You sound worried?"

She sighs breathlessly from the other end of the phone, and I can imagine her pacing a room or playing around with her hands anxiously. "Well, I... are you... okay?"

"I'm good, thanks," I say evenly. "Well, as good as I can be."

"But... see, I needed to tell you something, I still do, only, you weren't home. And- and I haven't been able to find you or... but your friend gave me this number. Yesterday."

I glance at Edith, then back to the phone. Clarissa's holding something back, I can tell, but it's not as easy to pry information out of people by phone call as it is when you're face to face.

"No, I'm not at home right now. I'm staying with some friends until things are safe enough. But you're on the phone with me now, so whatever it is you need to tell me, I'm listening."

Everyone around the table is listening avidly; Elias peering at the phone with accusing eyes, Edith fiddling with her hair as her eyes wander over the screen, and Emerson sitting back calmly, observing the situation with his thoughts sealed off, the conversation continuing.

Clarissa takes a while to form an answer, clearly stressed about whatever it is she wants to say. I know it must be something to do with the case, maybe something that could make solving it a lot less complicated than it already is, but something's holding her back.

Someone. Or is it herself?

"I... I don't... no, I don't know, not for sure. And you're right," she rambles nervously, her breath hitching every so often between words, "things aren't safe enough now. I don't know..."

"Clarissa," I interrupt, as gently as I can, "even if you don't know, I'm interested. It could be important, couldn't it? It could help make sure no one else gets hurt. You can tell me, can't you?"

She considers this for a long moment, then sighs again. "I can tell you," she repeats quietly, most likely convincing herself at the same time. "But... no, it's so much easier if I could see you, like, properly. I feel like I'm always being... being watched. I- I don't want to die, Holly."

I take a moment, trying to see this from all angles. Could she just want to draw me out? She is our prime suspect, either the killer herself, or involved somehow in the murders. Whatever she knows, I need to know. But I won't get far with her like this. Whether she's trying to draw me out or not, I'll be going to the funeral tomorrow anyway, with backup from Brunsley's team and the Tyrels.

"Okay, Clarissa? How about this? My parents' funeral is tomorrow, and details about the time and place will be sent out soon." I look up at Edith in confirmation, and she nods in agreement. "You're invited too, of course. We'll be able to talk face to face in a quiet place there, and I'll make sure nothing bad will happen to you. Does that make sense?"

"Tomorrow? Yes, tomorrow. I can do that... okay."

"Okay," I reply smoothly. "Thanks for calling me."

"Mm." She sounds distracted now, probably as paranoid as she sounds. "Holly?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry," she murmurs, and I frown slightly, waiting for her to explain. "I'm sorry this happened to you. I mean, your poor parents! Judith, and... and Bobby... and you, it's not right."

I can't help but nod in agreement. "No, it's not right."

"I know he didn't mean it..."

That makes me freeze, and my gaze fixes on the phone attentively, trying to turn the volume up to hear Clarissa's wavering, hushed tone a little louder. But it's as high as it will go.