To Crack The Case

"Say that again?" Emerson speaks after a long moment of stunned silence, his indifferent looks broken through with a confused, astounded frown.

"Sorry, what?"

"What?! You got a death wish?"

Edith and Elias are quick to chime in, and I sigh, looking up at the kitchen ceiling as Elias drops his cereal spoon in the bowl with a ching.

"I said, I need to go home."

"No," Emerson says immediately, and my gaze snaps to his in exasperation.

"Don't say no to me, Emerson Tyrel. Can I finish what I was saying, please?"

"Go on," Edith encourages, Elias' nose scrunched up in bewilderment as he and his brother stare at me expectantly.

"What exactly are we getting done here? You brought me here for my own safety, right? Because I couldn't crack the case properly or in time, being in a vulnerable position at home. And after the attack, it was best for me to stay here temporarily. But it's been a while now."

"The killer still isn't caught, Holls," Edith points out, and I nod in agreement.

"You're right. Why's that?"

"Well, we're working on it, aren't we?" Elias says.

"Yeah," I agree again, "we're working on it. But there's only so much we can do, isn't there? We've got as accurate a story as we can get that links these murders together with the RoseBlood Killer. Timings, motives, opportunities, clues, everything. Everything except who did it. And if we don't know who did it, then we can't crack the case. To crack the case, I have to go back home. Do you understand? I'm only prolonging the inevitable by staying at your house. The killer knows I have to come home at some point, and I do. I've got to sort out my parents' stuff, the house, all of that. They know that. They know that if we give up and realise that we're at a dead end, I'll have to go home. There'll be some police surveillance near my house to start with, but after a while of no suspicious activity or anything, that'll lessen. Then they'll strike."

"Is that what you want?" Elias questions, and I open my mouth to answer.

"That's not what she wants," Emerson cuts in before I can say anything, and my attention draws back to him in interest. "She hasn't got a death wish. She wants to catch the RoseBlood Killer."

"Yes, I do," I responded determinedly. "I do. I have to. And you want to, as well. So please understand, I have to go home. And I have to go home soon. This killer needs to be caught, now. I'm tired of waiting. I know this is life and death, okay? I know I'm who they want dead. It's not that it doesn't... I don't know, get to me. But I can't do anything about that, except face up to it. We're the only ones who can crack this case, you all know that. To do that, I have to look like I've given up. Try and go back to normal, or as normal as it gets for me. Then they'll come for me, and when they do-"

"We'll be ready," Elias finishes, the same look of determination in his eyes. "Damn right, we will be. I won't let that psycho outrun me again. This is for my dad. And for your parents."

"And for Clarissa," Edith nods. "I understand, Holly."

"So do I," Emerson says, before letting out a long breath, running his fingers through his wavy locks. "You're right. Okay. The only way this will work is if we have a practically perfect plan. We've got a lot to lose. And we're not losing anyone else. We need to plan this really well, alright? Timings, signals, everything. And I'll need to speak to Brunsley, arrange a video call. Or maybe he can come over. That might be best."

Brunsley comes to the Tyrels' house after lunch, while I sit in their living room, writing furiously in my casebook. I give Edith the attached plan of my house that I'd made before, studying the ways in and out, and the blind spots. Elias sits in the chair next to me, watching me write quietly. I don't mind his being there; unlike the annoying feeling of someone breathing down your neck while you work, he's just there, a part of this too. So I don't say anything, carrying on writing as he stares thoughtfully. Emerson phones up Brunsley late in the morning, and sure enough, he's at the door after twelve, when Emerson's passed around snacks to make up for a proper meal, all of us too focused on what we're doing to bother making one.

PLAN OF ACTION

I need to go home and carry on as normally as possible. Sort out Judith and Bobby Cassia's belongings, finances, and get ready for college when it starts in just over a month. The whole time, the Tyrels will be on the lookout. A specific police number should be on mine and their speed-dial so we can reach them, and they can take the call as a signal to come as soon as possible. Until then, the Tyrels and Detective Brusnley must be ready to get help and prevent any injury from being inflicted when the RoseBlood Killer strikes, seeing the perfect opportunity to. I, Holly Cassia, will record every conversation I have with anyone, to refer to in the future as a record of the murderer's identity and plans through their confession. Hidden cameras should be set up around the main doors of the Cassias' house. Perhaps two Tyrels at a time could sit and observe the cameras in their car down the street for a time. Whatever needs to be done. Neighbours could be alerted of my return, to encourage talk of it that could very possibly be heard by the RoseBlood Killer.

The killer will come to get me. I will be ready.

Elias and I glance up at Brunsley after Emerson lets him in, and then our attention's back on my notes. My eyes flick across the words quickly, and I add the last sentence before putting down the pen, satisfied. My eyes meet Elias', and he gives me a half-smile, which I return.

He's not bad, really. Smarter than he looks, too.

"Emerson. Nice to see you," Brunsley greets him, grey cloak fluttering as he walks in, the door closing behind him. I can feel his eyes looking over the three of us, deep in our work, and only look up a moment after he says my name.

"Edith, Elias. Hi, Holly. How are you doing?"

"Fine."

"Still writing?"

"Planning," I respond, flicking through the pages, Elias' attention more on the book than him too.

"Well, I'm glad you're getting somewhere. That's very good."

"You're not, then?" Elias asks him, turning his attention to him now.

"As far as I can," Brunsley replies. "We have times, dates, evidence, and the very fitting story you've all given."

"I gave," I comment under my breath, but Brunsley hears, smiling knowingly.

"Of course. It makes a lot of sense, actually. I was very impressed."

I give him a nod in response, smiling slightly.

"Right. Now, you called me here to talk about a new idea you've all come up with? No, you came up with. Sorry, Holly," he adds with a smile, after I give a mildly irritated look. "So let's hear it."

"Come on, upstairs," Emerson tells us, "we can sit in the library."

I close my book and slide off the chair, doing as he says. We all go up to the library and sit around the table, an extra chair pulled up for Brunsley, and then Brunsley looks at me attentively.

So, I tell him everything.