1 - Jacques

The waves crashed against the ship while sailors danced and partied on the deck. A man no older than forty held two bottles of rum. He walked towards a young man leading on the ship's railing.

"Here, Captain, have a drink."

"Thank you, Gus," the Captain replied, taking a rum out of Gus's hand.

He took a long sip before looking back at Gus.

"It's a special day for you," exclaimed Gus.

"I stole gold on my Birthday. Do you think that's a special day, Gus?"

"Jacques! These men are celebrating you and your glory."

"Aye! They're drunk off their asses," declared Jacques while taking another sip of his rum.

Jacques watched the fireworks light up the night sky. A sigh of relief came out of Jacques's mouth. These men did care about him. Of course, they do! They're his crew. However, Gus was his most loyal crew member. He's been with Jacques for as long as he can remember.
Jacques's eyes widened when he heard the same humming noise from when he was younger. 

He looked above the water. There was nothing. An intense feeling of uneasiness overpowered Jacques. Am I going crazy? Jacques jumped while quickly turning behind him.

"Gus? You scared me."

"Sorry, Jacques. You seemed paranoid. So, I wanted to check on you," Gus exclaimed.

"Can you look in the water?"

"Why?"

"I thought I saw something in the water," exclaimed Jacques.

Gus glanced down at the water, "I don't see anything. Maybe you saw a fish or something."

"Maybe. I can't help but think it was more than a fish."

"How about you go rest in your cabin," suggested Gus.

Jacques nodded his head and walked to the Captain's cabin. He was feeling light-headed from all the drinking he had done. There was a little candle in the middle of the room. It was on a small table with an armchair next to it. Jacques let out a long yawn and laid back in the chair.

*****

The calming sound of the sea soothed Jacques's mind. His eyes slowly closed as he slipped into the ocean. Jacques looked at his surroundings. The fish swam gracefully around him. The bright colors overwhelmed Jacques's mind.

His body levitated in the water. A creature with a tail swam towards Jacques. Jacques couldn't move. Jacques used all of his power to move, but he could. Panic raised inside him. Jacques closed his eyes. A second later, he opened his eyes.

Jacques's face flushed when he saw a beautiful woman. She had wavy red hair and a darker skin tone than his. Jacques didn't pay any attention to it. He focused on how the woman let her breasts be visible. Jacques looked down to notice she had a tail instead of legs.

The woman started gently touching Jacques's face. Jacques closed his eyes and let the woman massage his body. His body leaned back into the woman's touch. The feeling was alien to Jacques. He never lets anyone touch him like the woman is doing. The ocean was quiet. There was no sea life in sight. It was this fish lady and Jacques. 

The woman pressed her lips against his and moved to his ear. She whispered, "Jacques, wake up."

"What?"

"Wake up," repeated the woman.

Suddenly, Jacques felt a wet substance pour on his head. He woke up to find Gus running water on him. Jacques quickly got up and dried himself off. He looked out the window. They were still at sea.

"Gus! What the hell!"

"Sorry, I heard you moaning or groaning. I don't know," exclaimed Gus.

"Well, you must know I was dreaming," replied Jacques.

"About that mermaid again?"

"Yes!" Jacques exclaimed as he sat in his chair, "I don't get it."

"The dream part or the mermaid part?" asked Gus.

"EVERYTHING! Ever since I was a kid, this woman has been haunting me," replied Jacques.

"You will figure it out. I know you will."

Jacques didn't reply.

"I will get your breakfast," said Gus.

Meanwhile, Gus was getting Jacques's breakfast. Jacques came out of the Captain's cabin. He leaned against the ship's railing. Jacques waited for Gus to bring him his breakfast. He watched the men at hard work.

Gus brought out a tray with a cup and a plate. He walked towards Jacques and placed the tray down next to him. Jacques grabbed the cup and took a sip. It was hot rum. Jacques smiled and picked up a piece of bread.

"The men can't find any fish, Captain," Gus said.

"Did they try both sides of the ship?"

"Yes, Captain."

"How's the bait?" Jacques asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Fresh," replied Gus.

"About we move the ship somewhere else," suggested Jacques.

Gus nodded his head, "You heard the Captain! Move the ship!"

The crew helped Jacques move the ship to a better fishing spot. The water was clean and pure. Clean enough for Jacques to look under the water. The men lifted the net down in the water. Jacques could feel the breeze on his face. He enjoyed being on the sea. Jacques liked there won't be a lot of people around.

Only he and his crew were at sea. No, other life besides them and the sea world. The men waited for fish to come into their net, but there was none. They started to play card games and drink rum. It was a waiting game now. There was nothing else they could do.

Jacques sat in his little cabin. He wondered if his crew had caught any fish. He looked out the window. The sunlight shines above the clear blue ocean. The waves hit the ship gently while the sailors watched the net conscientiously.

*****

A loud bang came from the side of the ship. The noise of it was enough for it to be an explosion. The sailors hurried towards the railing. They tried to see what caused the bang. At last, they didn't see anything that would cause a significant sound.

Jacques came running out of his cabin. He was confused and a little bit annoyed with his crew. It was getting towards evening, and they hadn't caught anything. Jacques gazed into the water. No fish. Tired, Jacques sat on a barrel before saying a word.

"Have you caught anything?"

"No, Captain," replied a sailor.

"Have you looked?"

"No, Captain."

A sense of Frustration overwhelmed Jacques. How,\ could they not lift the net to check? He thought. Gus gave him a bottle of rum. He smiled and took the drink out of Gus's hand. Jacques lifts the bottle to his mouth. He slowly sipped the rum before calmly putting it down.
"Well, Go on. Lift the next!" Jacques said impatiently.