4 - Meeting Belle

"You too!" said Jacques.

Arieshell watched Jacques shake hands with Maurice before turning in her direction. She smiled softly at Maurice and waved goodbye. Jacques held his arm out for Arieshell to grab. She paused before placing her hand on Jacques's upper arm.

As they walked out, Gus stood on the sidewalk waiting for them. He lifted his hand to greet the couple.

"Hey, you two lovebirds."

"Lovebirds?" asked Arieshell.

"Gus, you know we aren't courting," irritated Jacques.

Gus laughed in ecstasy, "Come on! I was only messing with you two!"

Jacques clutched the bag of goods, "Nevermind, Gus, we need to see Belle."

"Belle? Why?"

"Maurice informed me she's not doing so well."

"And you care?"

"Gus, she's family."

Jacques waved his hand to a man sitting on top of a carriage. When the carriage pulled up toward the street, Arieshell could not help but stare at the horses.

The horses were so captivating and elegant. She never saw any creatures like those before. It astonished Arieshell.

"Arieshell."

Jacques's voice distracted the woman's thoughts. She looked at Jacques. He was standing on a little step of the carriage. Arieshell's gaze fell on Jacques's hand. The man had his hand out for her to hold.

"What's this?"

"It's a carriage we can get around in the village," clarified Jacques.

Arieshell analyzed Jacques's expression. He had small cracks in the corners of his mouth. His honest disposition made Arieshell feel curious about him.

"Why are you so honorable?"

Taken aback by that question, Jacques's coloration dilapidated from his face, "I had never been called by a flattering observation before."

"Why not?"

Arieshell allowed Jacques to assist her inside the reasonably sized carriage. They sat across each other while Gas sat next to Jacques.

Jacques adjusted himself in his seat, "I am a sailor. More specifically, a fisherman. We don't obtain admiration as someone who does a service for our country."

"Collaborate."

"Take a soldier, for example. They're well respected. They help our country to be safe."

"Like a royal guard," suggested Arieshell.

"Yes."

"Where are you guys headed?" asked the coachman.

"Do you know Whershe's manor?" asked Jacques.

"Yes, I do."

"We're headed there."

The coachman looked forward toward the road, "Ya!"

The horses started slowly moving until they had a rhythm they felt satisfied with. Arieshell glanced at the coachman. She studied his clothing. It was nothing like Jacques's entire. Though, she realized that maybe different positions had different ensembles. Thus, it made Arieshell curious. In her neck of the woods, her people had similar tails but with distinct colors and aquatic textures. 

The carriage continued along the streets and small neighborhoods. The entire carriage ride Arieshell didn't speak a word. They came toward a rocky pathway that had immense trees shading it. An over-side brick wall had the words engraved, "Whershie Manor," which stunned Arieshell. 

The carriage turned into the dark-let pathway. The carriage started to shake as the horses moved on the rocky road. As they continued on the path, Arieshell caught a glimpse of the humongous house. No, it wasn't a house. It was a mansion! The Whershies' must be very important.

"Woah there, Nelly," yelled the coachman.

The horses stopped in their tracks. The carriage came to a halt in front of the elegant entrance. The coachman got off his seat and came to open the door. Arieshell looked at Jacques.
"After you! Ladies first," he said. 

Caustically, Arieshell allowed the coachman to help her down the steps. When she had her stance, Arieshell looked at the entrance. There were two stone flower holders on each side. Red roses stood straight like they were waiting for them. 

Arieshell never saw plants like these. She only knew phytoplankton, red algae, kelp, seagrass, and sargassum. Areishell lifted her hand to the rose but quickly withdrew it when she pricked her figure on a thorn. 

"Ow!"

"Arieshell, be careful. Those roses have thorns," exclaimed Jacques.

"I now know that. I will be clear of them."

Jacques walked up the steps, and Arieshell followed. She noticed Jacques had a peculiar expression on his face. What was his thinking? Arieshell felt apprehensive, but not in the way she was anticipating.

Jacques took a deep breath and knocked on the door. He took a step back. He hadn't seen Belle in a while. What Maurice told him about Belle almost frightened him to death. The tone of his voice had him in disbelief at the news he delivered him. 

Wilbur wasn't the type to harm other people. Right? Jacques did not want to believe in such a thing. Hence, making the witness King Henry. When he first heard that man's name, Jacques felt something clogged in his throat. 

He removed his brown braided hair from his face. Jacques raised his hand on the door handle and knocked. He gulped as the grand black door slowly opened.

A petite woman with long brown hair stood in the doorway. Her eyes widened.

"Jacques? What are you doing here?" 

"I came here because Maurice is worried about you," he replied. 

The woman glanced at Jacques with tears in her eyes.

"Did something happen?" 

She parted her lips, "Armand," her voice cracked. 

Jacques cocked his head. He had never seen Belle like this. She usually had a peaceful and courteous aroma around her, but now Brielle had a frightened sense near her. She sniffed and tried her best to put a smile on her face. 

As Belle soon realized, she invited Jacques inside but stopped after noticing Arieshell. Brielle paused in her tracks. 

"Who is this?" 

"Oh! My apologies, this is Arieshell," Jacques said. 

"Hello," greeted Arieshell, waving her hand. 

"Bonjour," replied Belle. 

Jacques turned towards Belle, "Maurice wanted me to give you some sweets from the bakery."

"Thank you," said Belle, grabbing the bag. 

She led Jacques and Arieshell into the parlor. They sat on the loveseat in front of the window. Belle gestured to them to make themselves at home. Jacques adjusted himself to face Arieshell. She glanced at every detail in the room.

"Have you been in a place like this before?" 

Arieshell shook her head, "Not up close. I haven't been in the house." 

"Really?" 

"Never." 

"I'm back," Belle interrupted.

"Perfect!" expressed Jacques.

Belle sat on a red velvet armchair, "What did I miss?" 

"Arieshell hasn't been up close and personal with humans before," replied Jacques.

"Oh! Is that so?"