5- Dark Past Or Dark Present?

"Oh! Is that so?" asked Belle.

"Yes, Arieshell is a siren," exclaimed Jacques.

Belle's eyes widened. She had read several books about mythical creatures, but she had never thought that they were real. For now, the carriage needed to be sent away so no one would know she had visitors.

Jacques prompted, "Belle?"

Belle shook her head, "I'm sorry, I went into a daze. We need to send the carriage away. I am not supposed to have visitors."

Jacques instructed Gus to send the carriage away.

"You seemed troubled by something when we arrived. Is everything alright?" Jacques questioned while raising his eyebrow.

Belle bit her lip, "Well," she paused, "It's not important."

Jacques hastily stood up, "It's not Important! What do you mean by that? When we first arrived, you were shaking."

"Jacques."

 Jacques's eyes widened. He swiftly turned to see Areishell giving him a disappointed look. A frown covered her face. Jacques noticed Arieshell shake her head and stood up while making eye contact with him.

"Calm yourself down! Can't you see she is desperately resentful of something?"

Jacques looked at Arieshell in utter astonishment. His mind challenged his reaction before speaking but got cut off when he saw Areishell walking over to Belle and wrapping an arm around her.

Jacques observed Belle's breathing. Belle's breaths slowed as Arieshell soothed her. There had been a light tension in the room. The suspense between them settled once Jacques and Belle recomposed themselves.

"Tell us, what is bothering you?" Areishell said.

Belle swiped a tear out of her eyes. "Before you came, Armand arrived asking if I saw Lou. I told him no, and before he could leave, Armand got hit in the head."

"Shit!" expressed Jacques as he clasped his hands at the back of his head.

"Jacques, language," stated Arieshell.

"What do you expect me to say? Maurice told me to come here because of a shady person. Did you see who hit him?"

Belle only bit her lip

"Belle, do you know who hit Armand and maybe abducted Lou?" asked Arieshell.

"I-I, am afraid to say anything because the man is very powerful and he's related to Armand. I haven't been outside the house since I returned from your parent's home."

"You mean someone has kept you prisoner?" asked Jacques.

"It's something like that," replied Belle.

"Wait," Arieshell turned her head to Jacques, "You have parents?"

"Of course I do! Everyone does."

"But when I saw you, you were young, and I didn't see anyone who could be related to you."

"Aye! My mother abandoned me when I was a baby," exclaimed Jacques.

"I'm sorry," said Arieshell solemnly.

"It's not your fault."

Arieshell shook her head and continued to comfort Belle. What's going on here? Why was this woman in so much pain? Arieshell glanced at Jacques as if she had been expecting a response. To her dismay, Jacques shrugged his shoulders.

A faint tapping sound came from the window. Areishell, Belle, and Jacques gave one another glances, wondering what caused that sound. A thick window drape covered most of the big French window.

"What made that sound?" questioned Arieshell.

"It came from that window," answered Belle, pointing a figure toward the window.

"I will go check it out," declared Jacques.

Arieshell gave Jacques a slight nod. Jacques slowly walked toward the window and carefully pulled the drape back to see Gus in front of the window waving a hand at him from outside. Infuriated, Jacques signaled to Gus that he was coming out. He gave Arieshell a gesture that he would be back in a minute.

Understanding what Jacques meant, Areishell nodded her head. She observed him run outside but remained with Belle.

Jacques walked through the grass as Gus waited for his arrival. Gus had his back against an Oak tree. Its branches were thick with bristle-tipped leaves, and the rich soil was covered with hairy-lined acorn shells. Jacques got a whiff of fresh pollen that recently fell from the trees.