Chapter 3: Psyche

Chapter Notes: This chapter is an optional read! If you continue, you really won't miss too much out of the story but there are allusions to the chapter later on. This will be the only theory chapter in my fic. I could not stop thinking about this idea which incorporates most questions readers had about "A Court of Silver Flames" including the bonus chapters, the necklace, Rhysand acting strange, and a few more details.

I want to be clear, there is absolutely no Elain hate in this chapter. In fact, I have gone through all of the SJM books to highlight any description about Elain's personality and reactions to make sure that it is as realistic as possible. This is also not an evil Elain arc, but there are some elements of that idea.

If you have anything negative to say about Gwynriel or Elriel... please don't leave that hate here! We can all get along with different ideas. Look to the amazing @botanical_brinn (on Instagram & TikTok) for how to be a shining example of loving and appreciating all ships while being an Elriel fan!

Direct references will be cited using a [#] after the sentence. All citations will be included in the endnotes.

Remember, this is just a theory, so please don't say this won't happen because of whatever. I am well aware that this won't be how it happens. This was just a fun thing that I was inspired to write and fit into Catrin's background perspective of relationships, love, & the mating bond. Anyway, thank you again for reading and enjoy!

══════════════════

Psyche (origin: Ancient Greek)- "soul, mind, or spirit". The invisible animating entity which occupies the physical body.

══════════════════

══════════════════

The story of Catrin's Aunt Elain and Uncle Lucien was one for the ages. Now working as the emissaries to the Day Court, their tumultuous start was nothing if not an extreme beginning to a relationship. They knew as soon as Elain emerged from the Cauldron that they were mates, but that did not mean that their relationship began. The beginning of their story truly centers on her aunt.

Elain— kind, gentle, and a goddamned underestimated female fae if ever she had met one. Growing up, Catrin's aunt and her own mother were close. Going through the experience that they had together will do that to people, especially when it involved both of their mates.

Azriel had always been intense. Catrin's uncles told her that was not something new, not something that parenthood brought out in him, as she had assumed. In fact, they claimed he had soften when she arrived, often teasing him about it while telling her this but he would just shrug in admission. In truth, as long her uncles and aunts had known her father he had been fiercely protective and loyal, sometimes to a fault.

Her father himself would admit, in the early days of the eldest and middle Archeron sisters entering the Night Court, he and Cassian would fight over who had to watch Elain. Most times he was happy to not have to watch her [1]. This changed, slowly and then all at once. Some say it started when her father saved Elain from Hybern's war-camp. That this brought the two of them close. But it was before that when Azriel started to wonder if the three sisters were fated to be mates to him and his brothers. He started to spend more time with her, always wondering if perhaps the Cauldron was wrong. His shadows always disappeared around her, as they usually did around Mor. Mor, who he thought for centuries could be his mate. So he waited and observed, as always. He was the first to understand that the Cauldron had made her a seer [2]. He began to believe it when she started to be kind to him. He knew rationally, she was kind to everyone, but when she saw his hands, told him they were beautiful. His hands, the part of himself that he most hated not only for their appearance but for what he had done to others with them. With this he questioned, could the mating bond be wrong?