Chapter 11: Meliorism

Meliorism (origin: Latin) — the belief that the world can be made better by human effort.

══════════════════

══════════════════

TW: Discussion of Catrin's work in this chapter, nothing explicit. Please see story details for full trigger warnings.

══════════════════

One week is all Catrin could give Nyx to ready himself for Illyria. She would be meeting Aila, the female she had been working with in the Illyrian Steppes, and couldn't delay. Until then, she was balancing her own preparation of their meeting with training Nyx on the delicate intricacies of her work.

For the first time in four days, since she started with Nyx's tutoring and her research, she was able to meet up with Leila and Nell. Granted, they all but forced her to take a break to grab coffee with them one morning, but she relented.

"So, have you finally resorted to tying Nyx up in the library?" Nell said.

"Excuse me?" Catrin spluttered, spitting out some of the coffee she had just sipped as Leila patted her on the back.

"Judging by the fact that you finally let us drag you to breakfast before work you either, (a) tied Nyx in the library so he couldn't leave while you met us or (b) you finally were at each other's throats long enough that you snapped and came out victorious so really we should be checking if the heir to the Night Court is officially being passed on to Leila here."

Catrin looked at her cousin rolling her eyes as to not dignify her snarky response with an answer.

"Cat, what I think Nell is trying to say is that you need to give yourself a break, and Nyx too," Leila said. No niceties, no easing into it. Blunt and to the point.

"Excuse you, I have given us both breaks," Catrin said, affronted by the fact that only a few days had passed and they already thought she was wearing him out.

"Yes, but more than just a delayed start to your day by eating a quick breakfast. How late are you staying in the library, anyway? I am surprised Clotho isn't getting on you for riding him too hard," Leila said, seriously.

Nell, smirked at her cousin as red crept across Catrin's chest and up towards her face.

"I am not keeping him too late," Catrin said, "And I have already given him a night off, and myself. I went out with Andrew the other night."

Nell's interest was immediately piqued, "Oh details, where did you go? What did you do?" Wagging her eyebrows with insinuation.

"We went to dinner and had a nice time," Catrin replied, focusing on her breakfast that had just arrived. Nodding to the waiter in thanks as Nell continued to press.

"Did you do anything I would be proud of you for?" Nell said, as she leaned forwards to rest her chin on her hands in anticipation.

"No, we just talked," Catrin said, rolling her eyes.

"It is no fun when I can't live through either of you vicariously," Nell muttered, as she leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms.

"Oh poor, Nell," Catrin mused, sarcasm dripping from every word. "I am so sorry that I am not as fun and exciting as you." Winking at her cousin as Nell stuck her tongue out at her.