Chapter 14: Resfeber

Resfeber (origin: Swedish)— The restless race of the traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together.

══════════════════

══════════════════

TW: Discussion of Catrin's work in this chapter. Please see story details for full trigger warnings.

══════════════════

"Do you mind me asking..." Catrin began cautiously. "Did you inherit any of your mother's other courtly powers?" Her eyebrows furrowed in curiosity as she looked over the table.

Back in the Clotho's library, Catrin and Nyx were preparing for their mission to the mortal realm. With his introduction into what her position looked like working, Catrin knew Nyx would be ready for the mission tomorrow. Rhys and Feyre had passed on the intel Aria had been sending back. Thus far, all she was able to provide was a name and that it was possible domestic abuse.

"Isn't this something that you should have asked me earlier, Berdara?" he teased, looking up from his book to find Catrin looking at him inquisitively.

"Well, this mission won't involve your magic," she muttered. "Since we have to glamour our wings and we can't use our abilities, it didn't seem relevant."

"You know, you don't have to ask questions only related to the job, right?"

"I know," Catrin replied, defensively. Nyx raised his eyebrows at her, a slight smirk gracing his lips before she sighed.

"Sorry," she replied, wincing at her curtness. "Habit." She had to remind herself of their truce. Friends.

"Would you be willing to tell me what abilities you possess from both of your parents?" she asked, her tone walking a line between sarcasm and authenticity. He laughed at her awkwardness, her attempt at small talk forced.

"What kind of abilities are we talking about? I have been told I have many," he replied, quirking his eyebrows at her as he tried to get her to relax into their normal banter. Rolling her eyes, she gave him a look, a slight smile threatening to break her glare.

"Magical powers, Nyx." He gave her a quick wink before delving into the topic.

"Well, you already know that I inherited my parents' daemati abilities. I also possess their darkness manipulation. I didn't get any of the other courtly powers, neither did my siblings. We think it probably has to do with my mom being a Cauldron-made fae. I did receive dad's misting power," he continued, "Though I do everything in my control to never use it, if I can help it." A flash of something crossed his face as he averted her questioning gaze.

"Why not?" Catrin asked, genuinely curious. She had never heard Rhysand speak about his misting power. Though everyone in Prythian knew of his ability.

"If you could kill someone with just a look, would you be proud of that?" he replied, curtly. Avoiding her gaze, Nyx returned to the book Catrin had given him when they returned from Illyria— Culture, Law, and Myths: An Ethnography of the Mortal Lands. Before she could respond, he abruptly changed the subject.

"What does the capacity building aspect look like on the ground in the mortal realm?" Nyx asked, studying his book with more focus than she had ever seen, though his eyes remained unmoving.