Chapter 8 True Colors

WARNING: ATTEMPTED RAPE!

It was a few months before Eddard Stark and Benjen returned from quelling the Greyjoy Rebellion, but they were not alone. Robert has ordered Ned to take Balon's youngest son Theon Greyjoy as his hostage. Benjen wasn't convinced that it was a good idea. The boy was several years older than Lyarra and Robb, and Benjen didn't trust the little Kraken. But, Ned being the good-hearted person he was, gave the boy the benefit of the doubt.

When they arrived at Winterfell, Ned was greeted by the sight of his family. The minute he got off his horse Lyarra collided with his leg and wrapped her arms around Ned's waist. Ned laughed and picked up his precious girl. Ned hugged Lyarra tightly and kissed her cheek. Lyarra placed both hands on either side of Ned's face and stared into his grey eyes. She could see the exhaustion and pain he felt from battle. Lyarra very subtly pushed her priestess powers into Ned to ease his pain and help him relax. It was so subtle that Ned thought that it was only the relief of being home with his family.

Ned gave Lyarra a genuine smile, “How's my sweet girl? Were you good while I was away?”

Lyarra beamed at her father, “Aye, Papa, I was a good girl; I helped mother take care of Sansa and run Winterfell, and when she was too pregnant to do things, I did it all by myself,” Lyarra said proudly.

Ned furrowed his brow, “Pregnant?”

Lyarra's eyes widened, covering her mouth, “Oops, it was supposed to be a surprise.”

Ned put Lyarra down and let her greet her Uncle Benjen while he walked towards Catelyn, holding a small bundle. Catelyn uncovered the baby's face to show Ned. He stared down at his child, then looked at Cat, “Why didn't you tell me?”

“Oh, Ned, there were so many things going on, and you were going off to war; I didn't want you to worry about me and be distracted. But don't worry, as Lyarra said, she was a great help throughout the entire pregnancy. All the children were. Would you like to hold your daughter?”

Ned's eyes softened when he stared at his daughter, that was pure Stark. He wiped his hands on his tunic and took the bundle from Catelyn. Cradling the baby in his arms, Ned leaned down and kissed her chubby cheek, “What did you name her?” Ned asked.

“Lyarra named her Arya after your grandmother.”

Ned glanced down at his daughter, who stood proudly next to her mother, grinning at her father. When Ned handed Arya back to her mother, Ned kneeled to greet his other children; Robb, Jon, and Sansa rushed Ned and tackled him to the ground. Ned laughed as he was covered in kisses and hugs. He tickled each child and reveled in hearing them laugh. After a while, Ned stood with Sansa in his arms, and the Stark family went inside for the welcome home feast, but not before Ned introduced his children to Theon.

Robb instantly liked Theon and decided to make it his mission to show Theon around Winterfell. Lyarra and Jon, on the other hand, were wary of the young Kraken. Jon thought that he was too cocky for someone that was supposed to be a prisoner, and Lyarra could tell that there was something dark in his aura. Lyarra tried not to think about it; after all, Theon was only nine years old, but she couldn't shake the feeling that Theon was going to cause trouble.

A few years passed, and Lyarra grew into a Northern beauty. She had long wavy black hair that came down to her waist and silver eyes that were framed with long thick lashes. At ten and three, Lyarra was already developing a woman's figure, and many boys were taking notice, especially sixteen-year-old Theon Greyjoy.

For as long as Theon had lived at Winterfell, Lyarra stayed as far away from him as possible and kept Sansa and Arya away. As the young Kraken matured, Lyarra could see in his aura the darkness that existed there. It surprised her that Robb was blinded to it, but Jon was not. Whenever Theon tried to talk to Lyarra alone, Jon ensured that he would intercept and keep an eye on his older sister. Theon constantly flirted with Lyarra and acted as if he was the heir to Winterfell. He would continuously brag to Robb and Jon about his exploits in the brothels, but his eyes never left Lyarra when he would tell his stories.

It finally came to a head when Lyarra went to the godswood to pray. She was sitting in silence, praying to the Kamis to guide her on what to do about Theon, when suddenly she was grabbed from behind, and her mouth was covered so she couldn't scream. Lyarra scrambled away but was tackled from behind. She could roll over and see that Theon was trying to assault her. Theon sneered at her, “You little bitch. You think you're too good for me because you're Lord Stark's daughter? Well, I'll show you that no woman can resist me!” Theon growled.

Lyarra quickly got to her feet and pulled out a dagger that she had hidden in her skirts. Theon laughed, “What do you think you're going to do with that, girl? Don't even know how to handle a dagger,” He said with a laugh.

But Lyarra had remembered all the lessons that Lord Sesshomaru had taught her in her former life, and she was more than prepared to defend herself against a pathetic human. Lyarra decided to give Theon fair warning, “I'm warning you, Greyjoy, leave me alone, or I will cut off your manhood root and stem.”

Theon laughed and lunged for Lyarra. He feinted left, trying to catch her off guard, but Lyarra was ready for him. Lyarra slid to her knees and stabbed him in between the legs. With one swift motion, Lyarra severed his manhood and testicles. Theon released a high-pitched scream and fell to the ground in agony, clutching his crotch, trying to stem the bleeding.

At hearing the inhuman scream, Jory Cassel, Robb, Jon, and Ned came running into the godswood. They find Lyarra covered in blood, holding a bloody knife, staring at Theon. Jory yelled at one of the soldiers to run for Maester Luwin, and Ned looked between Theon and his daughter. He automatically knew what had happened. Ned knew that Lyarra would never resort to such violence if her life were not in danger.

Ned approached his daughter carefully, as if not to startle a frightened animal, “Sweetling, it's alright, you can put the knife down; Theon cannot hurt you. Please, put the knife down.”

Lyarra glanced at the bloody knife in her hand and the concerned look in her father's eyes. Her eyes welled up with tears, and she launched herself into her father's arms and began to cry. Ned held his daughter tightly and whispered reassuring words in her ear.

“It's alright, my girl, I have you. I swear by the Old Gods that filth will never hurt you again,” Ned whispered, trying desperately to control his temper. If he could, Ned would have taken Theon's head, but Theon was Robert's prisoner, though that didn't mean Ned had to tolerate the boy being in his home with his children. Ned decided then and there to write Robert and tell him to take Theon and give him to Stannis if the boy survived.

Once Lyarra calmed down, Robb and Jon rushed toward their older sister and hugged her. Robb was furious with himself. He should have listened to Jon when he said that he didn't like the way Theon watched Lyarra. And when Lyarra told him that there was something treacherous about the Kraken, Robb shrugged it off, thinking that his sister was being paranoid. Robb should have known better; Lyarra was never wrong when judging people.

Robb vowed then and there that no matter what, he would always listen to his twin's advice and do anything to protect her, even if it cost him his life.

By some miracle, Theon survived his mutilation, but as soon as he was well enough, Theon was placed under house arrest and was guarded at all times until Ned received word from Robert that Stannis was on his way to pick up the boy and take him back to Dragonstone. Robert was furious when he read Ned's letter and wanted Theon executed for his crime, but Jon Arryn convinced him not to, so Robert told his younger brother to treat Theon like the prisoner he was and not to give him any special treatment. He would pay for his crimes one way or another.