Chapter 19 Musing

The morning after Lyarra's wedding, Ned walked into his bed chamber exhausted. He hardly slept the night before. He couldn't stop thinking about his beloved daughter's wedding. Ned still didn't like that Lyarra married the Kingslayer; he doubted he ever would, and Ned hated Robert for making him give Lyarra to a Lannister. It was a revolting idea. Ned hoped to keep his eldest safe in the North, far away from King's Landing and Robert's e. At least Lyarra wouldn't stay in that blasted city long; Lannister would eventually take her to Casterly Rock. Ned didn't like that idea either, but it was far better than them being in the Capitol.

Ned lay awake beside his wife almost all night, worried for Lyarra. Eventually, Ned got up, dressed, and went to the Godswood to pray; he needed the comfort of the Old Gods. He kneeled in front of the Weirwood tree and closed his eyes. Taking a deep breath, Ned began to pray. He prayed to the Old Gods that he and his family would be safe in the South. Starks didn't fare well in the South, and he hoped that he would be able to survive the Game of Thrones.

He prayed for protection for his children, especially Lyarra, who would stay in the South. Ned thanked the Gods that Robert had not considered betrothing his son to Sansa; that would have been too much for him to handle. Having his most cherished daughter staying in the South was bad enough, but two of his girls would be unthinkable. Ned had heard of how sadistic the Crowned Prince was, and if he had been a Targaryen, Ned would have sworn he inherited the Targaryen madness.

Ned continued to kneel in front of the Weirwood tree and pray. He prayed that he could control his wild child, Arya. He knew that Arya was upset that Lyarra had married South. His youngest daughter was going to miss Lyarra so much. They were as close as two sisters could be. Of course, Lyarra was close to both of her sisters, but Arya had more Wolf's Blood in her than Sansa, and she depended more on Lyarra than Sansa did. Perhaps he could ask Jaime Lannister to foster Arya? Ned didn't like the idea, but it would make Arya happy to be with Lyarra. He needed to discuss it with Catlyn first. After finishing his prayer to the Old Gods and feeling more comforted, Ned returned to bed to sleep a little more.

A few doors down, Robb and Jon were whispering to each other, “Do you think Lya's alright,” Robb asked Jon.

“Of course she is, Robb. Do you think Lya would let Lannister hurt her?” Jon asked his brother.

Robb grimaced at the thought of his twin being with the Kingslayer. It was something he didn't want to picture: his sweet sister with a man, even if he was her husband. The Robb was saddened, “Lya is going to leave soon, Jon. I don't know if I can handle being without my twin,” Robb confessed.

“I don't think I can either, but we knew this day was coming. Eventually, we're all going to leave Winterfell, Robb. I'll get Moat Cailin once it's rebuilt, and Sansa will also marry. I don't know what father has planned for Arya,” Jon chuckled.

Robb sighed, “I know, Jon, but I always thought that Lya would stay in the North and we could see each other occasionally. Now she will be in the South, in the Westerlands, no less,” Robb huffed angrily.

Jon patted Robb's shoulder, “I know, brother, but what's done is done. There's nothing we can do about it now. Lya is going to be fine. She has Wolf's Blood in her veins, and she's well trained.” Jon tried to assure Robb.

“Aye, but as Father and Uncle Benjen say, The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. She's going to alone in the South, and you know that Starks do not fare well in the South,” Robb reminded his brother.

“I know, Robb, but nothing will happen to Lyarra. She's strong, and with her gifts, nothing will happen to her.” Jon assured Robb

Robb reluctantly agreed. He knew his twin better than anyone, and he knew that Lyarra could defend herself in the South. Still, Robb was angry at the King. He knew that the only reason the King made Lyarra marry Jaime Lannister was because, in the King's mind, his sister looked like their Aunt Lyanna, even though the entire castle agreed that Lyarra looked like their grandmother. Their father told them that Lyarra looked slightly like their aunt, but not that much.