Chapter 14 Wedding Preparations and a Tragedy

Jaime drew his sword and sauntered into the sparing ring. He smirked at Lyarra, knowing full well that she was no match for him. Lyarra drew her sword and got into a defensive position. The pair circled each other, waiting for the other to make the first move. Lyarra had no intention of attacking Jaime first; she waited for him to get frustrated and attack her; then, she would counter. As they circled each other, Jaime made snide comments trying to goad Lyarra into attacking him; he failed. Exactly as Lyarra had predicted, Jaime became frustrated and attacked her. She easily avoided him and smacked him on the backside with the flat of her sword. Jaime whirled around and swung at Lyarra; she effortlessly danced away from him, and her water dancing lessons had paid off. In the end, Lyarra hit Jaime several times while he continued to miss.

After a while, Jaime began to tire, and Lyarra declared their duel a draw. She didn't need the arrogant knight upset and running to his sister to complain. That was one headache she wanted to avoid, but the two opponents knew the truth, Lyarra had bested Jaime. Jaime shot Lyarra one last glare and stomped off, trying not to appear like a petulant child. But as he continued to walk away, he smiled, she was good, and Jaime had to admit that.

Lyarra stood there for a moment; she was about to leave when she heard clapping. Lyarra turned around and saw Tyrion Lannister walking toward her. Kouga immediately put himself between Lyarra and Tyrion and growled; Tyrion fearfully backed away from the Dire Wolf. Lyarra laid a hand on Kouga's head, “It's alright, boy; he means us no harm.”

Kouga looked at his mistress and then back at Tyrion. He gave one final growl, then moved to Lyarra's side and laid down. Tyrion sighed in relief, “He's very protective of you.”

“All the wolves are protective; The Starks are part of their pack.”

Tyrion nodded, “I saw you spar with my brother; it was imposing. How did you learn to fight that way?”

“My father hired a water dancer to teach my sisters and me to fight.”

Tyrion looked at Lyarra oddly, “Why?”

“We may be women, but that does not mean we cannot die upon a sword. My father wanted us to be able to protect ourselves.”

Tyrion nodded; he saw the logic in that. He had heard what had happened to Theon Greyjoy; the boy deserved what he got, in Tyrion's opinion. After the kindness that Lord Stark had shown him, to try to rape this girl was beyond despicable. Now the boy was at Dragonstone with Stannis, and he was being treated as the prisoner he was.

Tyrion and Lyarra talked for a while, and Tyrion found her enchanting. Lyarra was intelligent and funny and made Tyrion feel comfortable. He could tell that his Dwarfism didn't bother her at all. She treated him like everyone else. Tyrion could see them becoming great friends. After a while, even her Dire Wolf was comfortable around him. The great beast even let Tyrion pet him and lick his face.

After parting ways, Lyarra was told her mother was looking for her. Lyarra went to her mother's solar and found Catelyn talking to a seamstress. Catelyn looked up when Lyarra entered the room, she smiled at her daughter, but it did not reach her eyes.