Chapter 10 On Black Wings Comes Ill News

When the Stark family arrived at Winterfell with their new puppies and a massive Dire Wolf following them, there was a slight panic upon seeing the giant beast, but Lord Stark calmed their fears stating that the female was his and her pups were now his children's.

News spread quickly through the castle that the representation of House Stark had claimed the Stark family as part of their pack. Many couldn't believe it and rushed outside to see the frightening animal. When word reached Catelyn, she only sighed. There was no doubt in her mind that Lyarra had something to do with this. Animals had always been unafraid of her. And what if the rumors were true and the female wolf had been injured? There was no doubt that Lyarra had healed her.

Catelyn came outside with Rickon on her hip and saw her children playing with the pups. When the Stark children saw their mother, they ran towards her and told Catelyn everything. She, of course, allowed them to keep the pups and set Rickon down so he could see his new wolf as well. The toddler squealed when the wolf pup licked his face, and he kept calling the puppy a doggy. Thus, the wolf pup was named Shaggy Dog.

Catelyn looked around and noticed that her husband wasn't there. Earlier that morning, she had received a disturbing raven from King's Landing, and Catelyn needed to talk to Ned. Since Ned wasn't there with the other, she knew exactly where he was; he was in the Godswoods cleaning Ice. Catelyn informed Lyarra where she was going and left. When Cat arrived, she saw Ned sitting on a root of the weirwood tree, cleaning Ice; his new Dire Wolf companion lying at his feet. The female wolf raised her head when she heard Cat, then lowered it again as if knowing that Cat was Ned's mate.

Cat approached Ned with the note in her hand, “I saw the wolves, Ned.”

“And?”

“Only Lyarra would be reckless enough to go off after a Dire Wolf to help her with her pups.”

Ned chuckled, “Aye, but she only ever does it for the right reasons.”

It had taken a while for Ned to learn about Lyarra's powers, but once he did, he knew that they were a gift from the Old Gods, which explained so much to him. It explained how none of his children had a scratch on them or why injured animals would show up in the Godswoods and wait for Lyarra. He was proud that his eldest was blessed with such power.

Ned suddenly looked up at Catelyn and noticed the look on her face, “What is it, Cat? What's happened.”

“I'm so sorry, my love.”

“Tell me.”

“There was a raven from Kings Landing. Jon Arryn is dead. A fever took him. I know he was like a father to you.”

Ned looked at his wife, concerned, “Your sister, the boy?”

“They both have their health. Gods, be good. The raven brought more news. The king rides for Winterfell. With the queen and all the rest of them.”

Ned sighed, “He’s coming this far North; there’s only one thing he’s after.”

“You could always say no, Ned.”

“One does not deny the king, Cat,” Ned said, then stood, “Come, let us inform the children.”

With that, Lord and Lady Stark left the Godswoods with Midnight following behind.

When the children were told that the king and his court were coming to Winterfell, they were excited, except for Lyarra. This was the turning point for the Stark family that led to its extinction. Kagome remembered what Midoriko had told her and would be damned if she let that fate befall her family.

Lyarra immediately shut herself in her room and began writing protective sutras for her family and the wolves. She was going to make sure that history did not repeat itself. As Lyarra worked, she talked to her wolf, now the size of an enormous hound.

“Kouga, it's up to us to protect our sisters. You have got to watch Nymeria and make sure that she doesn't bite the Prince when we leave for King's landing.”

Kouga gave her a questioning look, “I know that no matter what I have to do, I am going with Father and my sisters to King's Landing. I will pay any price to keep them safe. The good thing is Sansa is not as weak as she was previously. She can handle herself against anyone, and Sansa is not afraid to kill if she has to; neither is Arya.” Lyarra explained to her wolf.

As if agreeing with her, Kouga butts his head against her leg, and Lyarra scratches him behind the ear. The wolf licked her hand, then went to the fireplace and laid down. Kouga watched his human as she worked on the sutras. When Lyarra finished the first one that she had out of white linen, then wrapped a black length of leather around it. She blessed the collar and then slipped it on Kouga's neck.

“There, with this sutra, not a single weapon with being able to pierce you; not a sword or arrow. The sutra will create a barrier around you,” Lyarra explained to her companion as she scratched his head.

Lyarra when back to work and made a collar for each Dire Wolf, including Midnight, though something told her that her father would leave his wolf at home. Lyarra smirked to herself, ‘Yeah, right, like Midnight is going to let Father out of her sight,’ Kagome thought.

Once the collars were made, Lyarra started on the necklaces for her family. She decided that to make them inconspicuous, Lyarra would use their House Sigil of the Dire Wolf and a leather cord. Lyarra left her room and went down to the blacksmith and told him what she wanted and how many. The blacksmith said he would have them ready in a few days.

While Lyarra waited for the pendants, she and Sansa helped her mother prepare the Keep for the Royal family's arrival

While Lyarra waited for the pendants, she and Sansa helped her mother prepare the Keep for the Royal family's arrival. They made sure that Lord Tyrion's room had enough candles so that he could read and that enough ale and wine were brought up from the cellar. The castle was cleaned from top to bottom, and Catelyn ensured that everyone in the family had a new set of clothes for when the king arrived.

Once Lyarra was informed that her wolf pendants were ready, she locked herself in her chambers and began the painstaking process of carving the protective symbols into each wolf's head. Then she wrote out the sutras and combined them with the leather cords, and blessed the necklaces. She put the same power into the necklaces she put into the collars for the Dire Wolves and added that no one but her could remove them. It was the same concept as the beads of subjugation Inuyasha used to wear. Lyarra didn't want to take any chances that her siblings might be stupid enough to give their pendants away, especially Robb, as a romantic gesture.

Now that everything was ready, Lyarra gave her gifts to her family and told them they would protect them; Robb, Jon, and their parents understood immediately that Lyarra had put magic into the presents, but the younger children had no idea.

Now that everything was ready, it was only a matter of waiting for the Royal family to arrive and take Ned away from the North.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: THERE ARE TIMES I REFER TO LYARRA AS KAGOME; THAT'S ON PURPOSE.