CHAPTER 5 - Performance

AS I stood on the pavement with a takeaway box in my hand and phone in the other, calling Hugo, I watched the darkening sky in an attempt to hold back tears.

"Miss Ibrahim?" Hugo's deep voice asked without a hint of surprise.

"Hi, Hugo. Could you pick me up please, at the same location you dropped me."

"Of course Miss. I'll be there in ten minutes." He hung up but I kept the phone close to my ear.

"Are you sure it'll be ten minutes, Hugo?" I asked no-one, my voice thick. "Or will it be thirty minutes, leaving me here in the cold, alone because of an emergency at work?"

After half an hour of poking at my food, watching my phone and receiving looks from the staff, I decided to leave. As I stepped outside and approached the parking lot, my Dad seemed to remember me.

Dad: I'm sorry, yene fikir. There was an emergency at the office so they called me back, I'll make it up to you, anything you wish. We can go shopping this weekend, yes?

Dad: Fallon? Don't be angry, you know how it is.

Yene fikir. It meant 'my love' in Amharic, our native language. I could only dream those words would one day be translated into his actions, not only used as an endearing term.

One tear fell and I wiped it away whilst knowing more would follow. Hugo pulling up was a relief, as standing alone and weeping to myself was embarrassing enough. I entered the car and faced forward, ignoring Hugo's inquisitive gaze.

"He didn't come, Miss?" Hugo seemed to ignore my silence plea to not speak to me.

I wiped at my face once again, sniffing. "It seems that everyone but me is surprised."

My driver stayed silent, answering my plea. I didn't think there was anything he could say that would make me feel better.

Walking up the stairs to my room felt like an impossible task with the disappointment that weighed me down. I approached my mum's design room and stopped there. You would think it was empty, if not for the sound of the sewing machine. I considered knocking, but logic told me if I did I would be disappointed for a second time tonight.

Ignoring my journal that seemed to be calling my name, I sat on my bed and called Luca.

I thought the last thing I wanted was to go to LIncoln's party, but it was actually being alone.

"Hey, Fallon is that you?" Luca's booming voice filled my room, slightly overshadowed by music in the background.

"Yeah."

"How was dinner? You're back already?"

I kicked off my shoes. "My dad had an emergency at the office, so he had to go back."

"See, it's fate that you were meant to come to this party!" He cheered. "Everyone's going to be thrilled, you rarely come to these things."

"I'll make an effort to from now on," my voice was flat. "Are you able to pick me up?"

"I've been drinking, babe. Get your driver to, and don't forget to wear a bikini! I'll see you in a bit- chill out, I'm coming guys-" The line was abruptly cut.

I got ready as if on autopilot. The makeup was wiped off, hair freed and the second outfit of the night picked out. It was a simple black bikini with shorts and a cropped top, paired with black sandals to show off my pedicured feet.

Hugo dropped me off at LIncoln's house fifteen minutes later, and it took a moment for me to compose myself as I stared up at the mansion. Blasting music and shouts were coming from inside, tempting me to return to the silence of my home.