CHAPTER 14 - Clues

The drive wasn't long enough for me to prepare myself for what was about to happen. I was going to meet Kairos's family? The same one who seemed to be a sore topic?

We arrived at an average looking neighbourhood, similar to my old home in London. Glancing at the street name, I realised I used to live only five minutes away.

Kairos was all silent and brooding as he got off the bike and held my hand to help me off. I thought they'd be freezing like mine, but his touch was warm and comforting. His face was a blank mask as we stood in front of the house, with him contemplating.

"I can wait outside, if you want." I offered.

Kairos shook his head. "It's dark, and not the safest neighbourhood."

My shoulders dropped in relief, but still I insisted. "I don't want to make you or your family uncomfortable, or invade your space. We're practically still strangers, to be honest."

He turned to look at me, frowning. "I'm still just a stranger to you?"

My grip on my handbag tightened. "No, that's not what I- I mean, I..."

Kairos eyed me quietly, before nodding to himself. "You can come in, because I don't leave my friends outside at night."

I sucked in a deep breath. "Alright. But just to let you know, this friendship is one-sided."

This made him crack a smile, and I lamely felt a surge of pride. "Just follow me, MG."

In a few steps we arrived at the front door of his house, where he gave three powerful knocks. A minute or so passed when we heard it unlock from the inside, and the door cracked open slightly.

"Kairos?" A little girl's voice asked, two brown eyes peeking at us. Kairos bent down slightly, grinning.

"Who else would it be? Let us in."

His sister opened the door wider, revealing herself. She had long, pin straight black hair, the same tanned skin tone as Kairos and big brown eyes that displayed curiosity when they took us in.

"What happened to your face?" She asked innocently.

"I painted it for fun."

"Were you blindfolded when you painted it?" I held back a snort at the question. Kairos side eyed me.

"Yes. Any more questions, officer?"

"Who is she?" A stubby finger pointed directly at me.

Kairos hesitated. "My friend."

"Are you sure?" His sister regarded me closely. "She looks like a princess. Why would a princess hang out with you?"

I smirked at the compliment and Kairos rolled his eyes.

"Seline, if you don't let us in, we're going to turn into ice cubes. And not the yummy kind." Kairos abruptly cut in impatiently. There's a yummy kind?

She sighed, stepping back. "Fine. But you have to be quiet so Mum doesn't hear, alright?"

"Okay." We entered and he locked the door behind us. There was an uncertain pause before Kairos crouched down and held out his arms. "No hug for me?"

Seline stared up at him for a second, before cracking a smile and running into his arms. He lifted her up and spun her around, and she squealed in delight. I narrowly missed her flying legs.

"I've missed you, Sel." Kairos mumbled, setting her back down with a fond expression. She gave him an unimpressed look.

"Then why haven't you come visit us sooner? We all miss you as well, especially the baby. That's why she cries all the time, Sy says so."