CHAPTER 12 - L.O.V.E?

FALLON

I made my decision the moment I left the path. My life had got to a point where it was so full and repetitive that doing the tasks on my fun list sounded appealing. Even if I got one of them done, it would be a nice break from my current responsibilities.

I wanted to tell Kairos my verdict, but I did not see him over the next few days. He was nowhere to be found in school, and even the park when I checked one evening. Meanwhile, brunch with my Dad took place, even if he was on his phone half the time. I didn't understand why his lack of attention still hurt, since I was used to it.

Things between me and Luca were... awkward, to say the least. After I practically threatened to break up with him, I'd received his version of silent treatment. Essentially, no communication from his side except for in school, where we had to uphold our image as the school's golden couple. I wasn't sure if he was waiting for me to apologise, and even though I had no desire to, the anxiety caused by his silence was starting to emerge.

With words, I at least had an idea where we stood.

I woke up on Friday morning, ready for the day to be over. As I was going about my morning routine my phone pinged consistently. To my shock and horror a notification was on the screen:

SIX MONTH ANNIVERSARY WITH LUCA <3

"I'm done for." I whispered, absolutely shocked and panicked. Sticking my head out of my bedroom into the hallway, I screamed: "Valentina!"

"Yes, Fallon?"

"Please, please quickly make the chocolate chip cookies Luca likes!" I shouted, and without waiting for a response entered my bedroom.

Today was going to be a lazy day but that plan was abandoned as I grabbed my straighter. He liked my curls but loved my hair straight, so I plugged in the device and got to work. Once my hair was silky smooth I got started on my makeup, making sure it was natural but noticeable. Finally I accessorised with his silver necklace, the 'L' hanging off the pendant gleaming in the sunlight.

As I ran downstairs my phone rang and my stomach dropped when I saw it was Luca. Maybe he already figured out I forgot our anniversary? Was he calling to end things?

"Hey." I answered the phone breathlessly, smiling at Valentina when she handed me the bag full of cookies.

"Morning, gorgeous." His voice was warm. "I've sent my driver to pick you up, since I'm still setting things up."

My throat felt dry. "S-setting things up?"

"Mhm. He'll be outside your house in a few minutes. And when you get to school, Perdita, Lincoln and Tay will be waiting for you." Luca instructed.

Setting things up? Oh dear. I'd spent my month's allowance on a watch he had his eye on, but that was all I got him!

"Uh, okay. See you later?"

"See you." He hung up and I turned to an amused Valentina.

I pointed at her accusingly. "Do you know what's going on?"

"Yes, and I have a feeling you are going to love it." She cackled before offering me a bowl of porridge out of nowhere. "Eat up before the driver comes, you have a long day ahead of you."

Sulkily, I spooned down my porridge whilst going through all the possibilities in my head. Most of them were either too nice of Luca or just unrealistic. I planned to interrogate his partner in crime, Lincoln, the minute I arrived at school to be prepared.

"How do I look?" I asked Valentina once I was done. If I was going to face public humiliation, I should have at least looked nice.

She smiled and straightened my blazer collar. "Perfect."