CHAPTER 6 - Real

HUGO dropped me at the house around one am, so I was shocked to find my Dad sitting in the living room, casually watching TV.

"Dad?" I asked, taking in his expression when he noticed me. It was one of annoyance yet concern. "Why are you still up?"

"Why am I still up? I was waiting for my daughter who decided to stay into the early hours of the morning, doing God knows what, without letting anyone know!"

My eyebrows furrowed. "Valentina and Hugo knew where I was." Mum couldn't care less, as her sewing machine had her attention for the evening.

"Are they your parents?" He snapped, coming to stand in front of me and taking in my outfit. "And what the hell are you wearing?"

"It was a pool party, Dad."

"A party? On a school night? Weyi āmilakē."

I stood before him, flabbergasted. Where was this interrogation coming from? And why was he so angry? I didn't stand him up.

"It's Friday, Dad."

"And? Is that an excuse for you to slack off, hm? Friday is still a school day, and instead of you to treat it like such you're partying, drinking-"

"I don't drink alcohol, you know that!"

"-How would I know when you're barely at home? Always with that boyfriend of yours, or elsewhere-"

"I'm barely at home?" I let out a loud, shaky laugh. "You just came back from a three month long trip, Dad! Even in your first week back in London you chose to stay in the office, standing up your daughter who you haven't seen in ages!"

My father let out a deep sigh, his hand on his hip. "Fallon, let's not have this argument again. You already know, everything I do, how hard I work, is for you. You are my only daughter, I have to keep your future in mind."

"But what about the present? As everyday goes by I see you less and less. It's like...." I stopped myself before I finished my sentence, knowing he wouldn't take my words lightly.

It's like you're a stranger in your home.

"It's like what?" This man stood before me, someone I'd regarded as my hero ever since birth. Someone who was the source of my inspiration and my driving force to do well. While I wanted to work hard to gain my mothers approval, I already knew I had his. But he was never around to show it.

"It's like you don't care.." I whispered, watching his dark brown that I'd inherited widen. Whether in shock or anger, I wouldn't know.

He was silent for a moment before shaking his head and dragging a hand down his tired face. "Go to your room, Fallon. It's late."

So that was it? We were finally at the point of having a real conversation, only for him to brush it off? I shook my head, grabbing my handbag off the floor and ascending the stairs.

"See you in the morning," I mumbled to myself, too quiet for him to hear. "Oh wait. You'll probably be at work."

The light in the Design Room was switched off as I walked by, meaning my mum had actually gone to sleep. She wasn't worried about me staying out late, but then again, I wouldn't expect her to be. The parent I wanted to be concerned about me, was not. The parent I wanted to be around more, did the opposite.

I dropped myself onto my bed with a loud sigh, staring at the ceiling. The girl I wanted to care less, cared too much. And caring too much never brought any good.

*****

The following Monday was a fresh start for me, and I was determined to make the most out of the new week. Starting with my appearance, I meticulously straightened my hair until it flowed down my back like a dark wave, applied the usual minimal makeup and accessories with Luca's necklace and a matching pair of silver earrings.