Writer's block

Guys I haven't been inspired to write this book in like 3 months LOL, I will get a new chapter out soon hopefully. In the mean time here is the rest of that snippet from the previous chapter.

As I brushed my long, black hair I stared at my reflection in the dirty mirror. Dark eyes framed with long lashes, olive skin, high cheekbones and full lips. Pretty, but clearly different from the rest of my family. While my siblings inherited lighter features from our mum and their dad's, I looked nothing like my mum. Meaning I looked like him. Someone I didn't even know.

As predicted I arrived at school around lunch time. I was walking towards the entrance when my phone started ringing. Looking at the screen I saw it was an unknown number and smiled, answering it.

"Hey, Dr Wilson."

"Good morning Domino." Dr Henry Wilson greeted warmly. "And I told you to call me Henry."

"Sorry. It's just weird calling adults by their first name. Feels disrespectful."

"I promise you it's not disrespectful to me."

"Okay."

"So, how is everyone? How are the twins and Genesis? It's their first day back, right?"

I nodded, forgetting he couldn't see me and walked to the side so I wasn't blocking the entrance. "Yes, it is. I dropped them off a couple hours ago. Sarah, our babysitter is looking after Gen."

"Oh. Wasn't your mother supposed to?"

I smiled wryly. "Let's say she wasn't in the mood."

"That's a shame- oh! Aren't you in school right now? I shouldn't be calling you!" He exclaimed and I giggled.

"No, I just arrived actually. I had to wait for Sarah to be available."

"Couldn't your mum watch him until Sarah came?" I could hear the frown in his voice.

"Not in the mood." I reminded him.

He sighed heavily. "I am sorry I'm not there to help out."

"No worries, Dr Henry." I reassured him. "You're an important man, and very busy. I'm just happy you're in our lives, even if from a distance."

And I really was. Dr Henry Wilson was Dad Number Three. He was a well-known surgeon, him and my mum met seven years ago when she worked as a receptionist at the hospital he owned. Seeing each other on a daily basis formed a spark between them which eventually developed into "love". There was just one tiny problem.

Dr Henry was married.

His wife was Marie Wilson, a fellow doctor whom he'd been with for a decade. She didn't work at his hospital so it was easy for him to keep his on and off affair with my mum under wraps. His wife unfortunately couldn't have children, something that pained Henry deeply as he always imagined having kids of his own. This, along with their busy schedules drove a wedge between him and Marie, which is where my mum decided to step in.

She had the fantastic idea that if she gave him children, Dr Henry would love her ever so much and leave his wife for her. That is why the twins, and eventually Genesis were born.

Lo and behold, her master plan didn't work. Dr Henry had a reputation to keep, so leaving his wife for a receptionist wasn't a great idea. It could affect how patients and colleagues viewed him, especially if they found out about the affair. This broke my mum's heart in a way I hadn't seen before, and I'd seen a lot of her heartbreaks. I think it was her last straw, the reason she lost complete interest in her children. She realised they didn't keep the men she loved in her life, so were virtually useless.

But Dr Henry was a good man (apart from the whole affair thing) and still wanted to be in his children's lives, only... in a covert way. Mum didn't agree and forbid him from contacting us again. However, with Mum's part-time job as a librarian, money was tight. Very tight. So while Mum was pregnant with Genesis I made a choice to seek Henry out for help with finances and offer him the chance to be in the kids lives. They deserved a father.

Our arrangement was simple. He met up with the kids, once or twice a month under strict conditions. Usually I had to drive them up North where his name wasn't that big. They would spend the day together, sometimes I joined to keep an eye on them, and we would go back home under the pretence I'd treated them to a day out. It was hard for Haven and

Harmony to keep it a secret, but they knew how Mum was and loved their father too much to risk not seeing him again. If Mum ever caught wind of what was happening I know she'd do something crazy, like expose their affair.

I sometimes met up with Henry for a coffee, to discuss the children and arrange when to meet up. Surprisingly, he also wanted to know about the rest of us. He really was a great man; he cared about all of us and helped out whenever I needed it. It was a shame we had to be hidden like a dirty secret.

"So, I have a conference on the 15th so I won't be able to see you guys." Henry started apologetically.

I frowned. "That's a shame. You're going to have to break the news to Haven. He hasn't been able to shut up about it for days."

"Well, I'm free this weekend." He offered. "Do you think I could see them then?"

"Harmony has her ballet recital on Saturday and she hasn't said it but she really wants you to come. It starts at 7 and mum won't be there, would that work?" I suggested.

"That should work. And hey, maybe I could take all of you out for dinner afterwards?"

"Sounds perfect."

"Good. My secretary will call you later on in the week to confirm our plans. Have a nice day, Domino."

"You too, Dr Wilson."

If it wasn't already obvious, Dad Number 3 was my favourite.

*****

Hopefully it is interesting, do let me know your thoughts.