Chapter 170

Excessive Punishment (2)

"Whether this kind of situation happens again and if you will leave? That's never..."

A fire blazed in her chest. She didn't even know what he was going to say, so she couldn't open her mouth.

He'd lived a life where the only thing he learned to do was reward and punish people according to their actions. He didn't want her to see it, but... The corners of his eyes twitched. Vlad didn't want to push anymore.

Just, just...

"How am I going to get rid of the thought of you leaving me?"

Her leaving.

His heart, which had been burned by fire, rotted and swayed like a swamp. Everything of him that had accidentally stepped into the muddy swamp was dragged in and suffocated. He couldn't tell if he was the swamp or the beast that was dying, swallowing mud with his lungs because he couldn't breathe.

She didn't even show any signs of looking back until they left the office and passed the corridor.

The figure pierced between his chest relentlessly like a poisonous blade. When he found out she was heading to the stables...

"I beg you... Will you forgive me for everything I did wrong?"

Lily's skinbecame paler. It seemed that the surrounding area was not fog, but cold water from a valley in the middle of winter.

Her head was blank.

Her husband, who was like her stronghold, was falling apart. It was as if he clung to her desperately. Only his body stood tall, he was hanging by a thread, almost kneeling at her feet.

Vlad didn't seem to be able to see the eyes of the stable servants who had been hardened around him.

Once again, Lily was belatedly concerned about them.

Isn't he the most dignified ruler under the sky?

To the knights and vassals who supported him, and above all to the people of Cadis, he was their supreme monarch, not the emperor.

Above all, he was her husband. Of course, he didn't want to be seen like this in front of his servants.

She couldn't let him be seen like that because of her. "No, you don't have to. Vlad. I never asked for that from you."

Lily's heart was beating as fast as light. There was no blood on her lips. The eyes looking around them were anxious.

It was as expected. The servants, who saw this for the first time in their lives, as well as Talin, were shocked. It was nothing compared to when he pushed soldiers to train more. It was more realistic to believe that he was possessed by a mirage created by the fog.

"Then what... What should I do? Please let me know, Lily." His gaze was fixed as if anchored only on her and did not fall.

Contrary to Lily's concerns, he was well aware of his surroundings. It just didn't matter. Whether it was surrounded by ten stable keepers or a hundred nobles, what did it matter?

Rather, it was good for him. He said he wished the whole world knew what she was to him.

Lily flinched and looked around, grabbing his arm. While he hesitated, she pulled his arm slightly. "Okay, come this way." She grabbed his thick wrists and walked into the stable.

He was willingly dragged by a woman like a reed swaying in the breeze while he was as huge as a rock.

When she took four steps, he had to take one or two steps. His posture of giving up his body to her even seemed comfortable somehow.

As they traversed the stables, the horses that recognized their owners neighed.

When they went deep into the wooden building and reached the door on the opposite side, they found a bar.

Lily, shaking the door, held the bar with both her hands. She whined and pushed it up, but it didn't budge. "Why is the bar like this..."

"..."

How did one usually open and close this? As soon as she put down her shuddering arms, he stretched out his thick arms from behind.

With one hand he rested his chin against the center of the wooden bar. As he touched it, it seemingly turned into his feathers as he lifted it effortlessly

"..."

While Lily hesitated at the difference in their grip strength, he pushed the door of the stable.

The old hinges screamed the whole time the door opened.

A backyard with carriages lined up from side to side like a crowd on a gravel floor. After stepping inside, Lily turned her body.

As he turned to close the door to the stable, she spoke as if she had made up her mind, "Now let's talk. About us."

A small raindrop tumbled through the mist. It rolled across her forehead and wet her lashes.