not just about herbs

Swiftfoot shook out his black and white pelt, turning away from the trembling thorn tunnel where the new apprentices, along with their mentors, had left. His mentor, Mossheart, was sitting outside of the den, counting herbs. "Do you need any help?" Swiftfoot hurried to her side, pressing his flank against her brown-flecked fur. Mossheart sighed.

"I'm okay. Just not as fast as I used to be." Looking up, she continued in a brighter tone. "Will you go check on Eaglefeather? She's so close to kitting, we'll need to keep an eye one her." Swiftfoot dipped his head and padded away, weaving his way around Hawkeyes' patrol. Seapaw, who was hovering outside the nursery, looked up at Swiftfoot as he pushed his way through the brambles.

Must have been checking on Cherryfeather again. The grey blue apprentice seemed worried about his younger siblings- although Volekit and Pumpkinkit were perfectly healthy, just excited about becoming apprentices in a moon. "Hello, Cherryfeather." He mewed to the ginger queen as she raised her head sleepily.

"Eaglefeather?" The medicine cat slid past Volekit and Pumpkinkit, who were darting around their mother's paws. "Mossheart sent me to check on you." The plump brown queen raised her head. "I hope they come soon." She pointed with her tail at her large belly. "I feel like I'm going to burst!" Swiftfoot purred and started to gently press his paws against Eaglefeather's belly. The squirming he could feel inside made him tremble with excitement.

"Tonight. Your kits will come tonight." Eaglefeather's wide yellow eyes stretched wide. Cherryfeather scrambled to her paws, and even Volekit and Pumpkinkit stopped bouncing around. "I'll tell Mossheart." Sliding out of the den, he bumped into Seapaw. "Eaglefeather's kits are coming. Tonight." The medicine cat mewed breathlessly. Seapaw gasped and raced away towards his mentor, Foxwhisker. A few seconds later the russet warrior padded towards Echostar's den, squeezing through the ivy curtain. Swiftfoot padded towards his mentor excitedly, who purred when she heard the news. "Kits are always good news. Remember Cherryfeather's kitting?"

The tom nodded. "I'll need help preparing the herbs." The speckled she-cat continued, gesturing towards their herb stock. "Borage to help her milk come, thyme for shock..." Mossheart's voice rolled into the background noise as Swiftfoot concentrated on wrapping the herbs needed with some bark they had collected a few days earlier. New kits are just what ShadowClan needs. ThunderClan won't dare attack us, one day. Swiftfoot curled his lip. We will avenge you, Raggedear, Fernpelt. He thought of his father being murdered under a ThunderClan warrior's claws, his flattened ear never stopping him... Raggedear would have survived, if they hadn't attacked.