hope is a powerful weapon

'Shadestar- are you sure about this?" Twigpaw pricked her ears, overhearing the deputy, Duststripe.

"Yes. Magpiesong and Tumblepoppy will help ThunderClan take over ShadowClan, whether you like it or not." The rough growl of Shadestar startled the young tawny apprentice, and she almost dropped her prey. Twigpaw tried to concentrate on eating her mouse, trying to ignore the loud mews coming from the other side of the clump of ferns. Peeking through the thick green fronds, Twigpaw could see Duststripe dip his sand coloured head. "Yes, Shadestar. I understand." The ThunderClan leader swished his black striped tail. "Good." Twigpaw scrambled away from the ferns in alarm as Shadestar pushed his way through, the fur on his spine bristling.

She snatched up her mouse and dipped her head to the leader, hurrying towards her mentor. "Duststripe?" Twigpaw mewed, padding into the small hollowed out log that served as the leaders den. 'Yes?" Duststripe tilted his head. "Did you hear?" She nodded, ashamed. "What do you think?" Twigpaw stared at him in surprise. Why is he asking me? I'm just an apprentice! "I have a bad feeling about the rogues..." the tawny apprentice began, feeling braver as Duststripe nodded. "But if Shadestar says we have to accept them as we would a clanmate..."

"I know. He is the leader. But... I still don't trust them, whether Shadestar does or not." Duststripe laid his tail on Twigpaw's shoulders and padded into the clearing. Twigpaw followed, bounding over to her father. Thistlefang purred. "Hello, Twigpaw. Everything okay?" Twigpaw leaned into her father's long, fur, purring. "Yep! Where's mama?" She looked around for Fawnflight. "On patrol with Snowclaw and Snakefur. They should be back soon." The apprentice dipped her head. "I'm going to check on Autumnnose. She seems so distant. If Ravencall hadn't died..." Thistlefang nodded. "Good idea." The brown and white tom mewed, bending down and licking her ear. Twigpaw purred and padded towards the warrior den, ducking underneath the stray bramble tendril. "Autumnnose?" The calico she-cat sat up in her nest, her cloudy amber eyes flicking towards the apprentice, but not quite focusing. "Yes?" Autumnnose mewed distractedly, and then shook her pelt out. Her amber gaze returned to normal. "Does Duststripe need me?"

"No. I just want to make sure you were okay." Twigpaw kneaded the moss underneath her paws nervously, wondering what to do next. "Oh. I see. Well." The calico continued. "I'll go and join the next hunting patrol- who's coming with me?" The tawny apprentice padded out of the den close behind Autumnnose. "Duststripe and I are coming, and I think Breezetail might be coming as well." The calico groaned, and Twigpaw sighed, exasperated. The cream and grey she-cat might be a fully-fledged warrior, but she was a massive pain in the tail. She looked up suddenly, almost walking into Tumblepoppy. The massive she-cat snapped her head around, her gaze like shards of ice. "Sorry!" Twigpaw squeaked, stumbling backwards. Tumblepoppy nodded slowly, and turned to the fresh kill pile, picking up a mouse. The former rogue padded towards Magpiesong, who was sitting by a clump of bracken, talking to Breezetail. Oh StarClan, no! Breezetail might be the most annoying furball in all of the clans, but at least she wasn't like the rogues.

At least, she isn't now... Twigpaw thought, watching the two cats, rogue and warrior, share tongues.