starlight

Fernpaw pretended to curl up in her nest, listening as Volepaw and Cedarpaw slipped into the den, settling into their nests. "See you in the morning!" The black furred apprentice mewed cheerfully, before settling into his nest. After a few seconds, Volepaw started to snore. The grey and white apprentice listened as Cedarpaw fell asleep, before sitting up in her nest. Fernpaw quietly sneaked out of the den, heading towards the dirtplace tunnel. She stayed close to the edges of the camp, hoping the shadows would hide her grey and white pelt. Wrinkling her nose, Fernpaw slipped through the dirtplace tunnel, carefully avoiding the patch of soil. As soon as she was clear, she started racing towards the Thunderpath, glancing up through the trees. The moonlight shone down as she padded to the edge of the path, trotting down into the tunnel. "It stinks." Fernpaw whispered, opening her mouth and trying to scent Twigpaw. The small ThunderClan apprentice emerged from the shadows, her eyes gleaming with amusement. "I'm not surprised!" Twigpaw remarked, as she sat down in front of the grey and white apprentice. Fernpaw snorted in amusement, before looking at Twigpaw seriously. "So, what do you have to tell me about Magpiesong?"

"I saw him talking to a rogue, Crow. On ThunderClan territory." The grey and white apprentice stared at her. "What about?"

"Recruiting, mostly. I think Crow is second in command- a bit like a deputy- to him." Twigpaw hesitated, her eyes widening and focusing on something behind Fernpaw. "What? What is it?" Fernpaw whipped around, staring into the shadows of the Twoleg tunnel. A black and white tom emerged, his amber eyes gleaming. Her breath caught in her throat. "Magpiesong?" Twigpaw choked out, her fur bushing out in terror. "No, it's... Swiftfoot?" The ShadowClan medicine cat dipped his head, and as he padded closer, Fernpaw could scent the pungent herbs he used. Twigpaw padded closer to him, arching her back and hissing, although her bright blue eyes betrayed her fear. "It's alright, I won't tell anyone."

"How do I know? You might be lying!" The tawny apprentice flicked her tail and started backing away to her own territory. "Swiftfoot won't tell anyone, don't panic. I trust him. See you at the next Gathering, I guess." Fernpaw shuffled her paws uncomfortably and started padding away, brushing past Swiftfoot as the grey and white apprentice hurried out of the tunnel. She raced back towards the camp, ignoring Swiftfoot's calls of surprise. Fernpaw paused to roll in a patch of wild garlic, hoping it would disguise the stench of the Thunderpath. As she slipped into her den, she started to wonder. Would Swiftfoot really keep the secret? The grey and white apprentice sighed and rested her tail over her muzzle, falling asleep.