dreams

Swiftfoot blinked his eyes open, sitting up in his nest. Pumpkinpaw slept next to him, her pale orange pelt fluffed up against the cold night air. The black and white medicine cat quietly slipped out of the den, his eyes widening in surprise. The moonlight shone down onto a brown tabby tom, which sat in the middle of the clearing. They met Swiftfoot's eyes, their yellow gaze burning into him.

It was Raggedear.

"Raggedear?" Swiftfoot took a pace forward as his father nodded. "I'm still dreaming, aren't I?" Raggedear sighed. "There's a reason I've come, Swiftfoot. I have a warning." The medicine cat shivered; not just from the cold wind. "When the shadow rises, the thunder will strike, and the bird will call for the final time." Swiftfoot stared at Raggedear as the spirit started to fade. "Don't go! Please!" The medicine cat darted forward, before jerking awake. Swiftfoot shook out his fur. "Why can't they ever be clear?" He grumbled, nudging Pumpkinpaw awake. "Wha-" The pale ginger apprentice mewed, her eyes blinking open. "It's sunrise!" Swiftfoot mewed, nodding towards the sunlight streaming into the den. Leaving his apprentice to groom her pelt, he sat at the entrance of the den, watching the clearing. Fernpaw, Cedarpaw and Volepaw padded out of the apprentice den, settling down next to the fresh-kill pile. Frogkit and Shellkit tumbled out of the nursery, squeaking in excitement. Their mother, Eaglefeather, sat down, watching them with pride. Poppysong emerged from Echostar's den, shaking her red and cream tortoiseshell pelt. The deputy trotted across the clearing, stopping and dipping her head to Foxwhisker. Swiftfoot watched the clearing, his eyes gleaming. Life was perfect. But what about the prophecy? He thought, sighing and turning back to Pumpkinpaw, who was reaching to lick her tail. The pale ginger apprentice sat up, following her mentor as they headed into the herb store. The fragrant scent of herbs wafted around Swiftfoot, and he tried to concentrate on his duties. Why can't StarClan's prophecies ever be clear?