warnings

Fernpaw narrowed her eyes, focusing on the mouse. It was too busy nibbling on a nut to notice her, sitting between the roots of the oak tree. Waggling her hindquarters, the grey and white apprentice leaped, killing the mouse with a sharp bite to the back of its neck. "Thank you, StarClan, for this prey." Fernpaw mewed, picking up the warm body. Her scent glands muffled by the prey scent, she didn't notice the ThunderClan cat creeping towards her.

"Fernpaw?" She whipped around, staring at the tawny brown apprentice slinking out of the bushes. "Twigpaw? What are you doing here?" Fernpaw dropped her mouse, her fur prickling. "I've come to warn you. ThunderClan is attacking at sunset! Magpiesong's managed to convince Shadestar to attack, and it's happening today!"

"During my assessment?" The grey and white apprentice shook her head. "I should take you back to camp." The ThunderClan apprentice looked worried. "But-" Fernpaw was already padding off in the direction of the hollow, and Twigpaw rushed after her. Skullmask emerged from the forest, standing in front of them. "Fernpaw, what's going on?"

"Twigpaw warned me that ThunderClan is attacking again! We need to warn Echostar!" The apprentice mewed hurriedly as her mentor stood aside, letting them pass. "Echostar!" The grey and white apprentice yowled as she dashed into the hollow. The clan leader poked her head of her den, her eyes widening as she spotted Twigpaw. "What's going on? Why is there a ThunderClan cat in our camp?" Fernpaw glanced at the tawny brown apprentice, who was standing in between Cedarpaw and Skullmask, with Flickernose behind them. "She's come to warn us about an attack!"

"What do you mean?" Echostar mewed, her amber gaze scanning the two apprentices. "We'd better explain." The she-cat beckoned to Twigpaw and Cedarpaw, who followed looking confused, and they recounted the events.

***

"I see." Echostar looked thoughtful. "It does make sense. Why Shadestar would listen to that rogue, only StarClan knows, but if they're attacking..."

Fernpaw nodded. "Tonight, at moonhigh." Twigpaw shifted uncomfortably. "All of them. Most of my clanmates won't want to attack, but..."

"The rogues will." Cedarpaw finished, her dark green gaze shadowed with anxiety. "I'll let the clan know. Thank you, all three of you. Oh, and Fernpaw? Cedarpaw? Don't think I've forgotten about your assessments." The long furred dark grey she-cat padded out of the den, leaving the three apprentices glancing at each other, excited. Fernpaw bounded out of Echostar's den, almost crashing into her parents. Dovenose and Yarrowclaw purred, their eyes shining, as Echostar leaped up onto the Tall Tree. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the Tall Tree to hear my words!" The grey and white apprentice sat down next to Cedarpaw, with Twigpaw a bit behind. The ThunderClan apprentice clearly looked a bit uncomfortable, and she ignored the curious and hostile stares from the ShadowClan warriors. "Fernpaw and Cedarpaw have shared with me some important news, along with Twigpaw of ThunderClan. ThunderClan has teamed up with a vicious group of rogues, and are attacking at moonhigh tonight." Worried murmurs broke out among the clan, and Fernpaw spotted Eaglefeather drawing her kits closer with a sweep of her tail. "We must be ready for this attack, as the rogues don't follow any sort of warrior code. They are prepared to kill." The dark grey leader paused, before continuing.

"I have two ceremonies to perform. Fernpaw, Cedarpaw, step forward." The grey and white apprentice padded forward, just behind her sister, whose dark brown tabby fur was prickling with excitement. "I, Echostar, leader of ShadowClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in their turn." Fernpaw gazed up at Echostar, her eyes wide. "Fernpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." The grey and white she-cat dipped her head as Echostar continued. "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Fernpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Fernwhisker. StarClan honours your loyalty and your determination, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan." Fernwhisker licked her leader's shoulder, and then stepped back as she gave Cedarpaw the warrior name Cedarfang. "Fernwhisker! Cedarfang! Fernwhisker! Cedarfang!" The clan chanted, their eyes shining. "Meeting dismissed. Now, prepare to fight.

Every cat must help." Echostar leaped down from the Tall Tree. Fernwhisker gazed at her sister. "I can't believe it! We got our names!" Cedarfang's eyes were shining with excitement. The grey and white warrior purred with amusement. "That's great, but there's also a massive attack happening soon?" Twigpaw nosed her way in between them, her bright blue eyes round with worry. "We know." Fernwhisker nodded to Cedarfang, before they turned towards the deputy. Poppysong gazed back at them, before calling out the battle plans.