alone

Swiftfoot slid into the medicine den, exhausted after the gathering combined with Eaglefeather's kitting. Curling up in his soft nest, he slipped into sleep.

He was dreaming. He knew it- the trees around him were full and lush and everything sparkled. He was in StarClan's hunting grounds. Why? Swiftfoot thought, looking around for a shimmering StarClan cat. He gasped as a familiar pelt padded towards him- one he had hoped never to see here. "Mossheart..." Swiftfoot dipped his head, grief for his mentor choking his mew. "Yes. Do not worry- you are a talented medicine cat. But not even StarClan could stop my death." The speckled white and brown medicine cat pressed her cheek against Swiftfoot's flank. "You will not be alone for long- Pumpkinkit has an interest in herbs." Swiftfoot looked up. "Thank you, Mossheart." Mossheart dipped her head and slowly the dream faded, leaving Swiftfoot jerking awake in his nest.

Hurrying over to Mossheart's, he found what he knew he would find- a still body, her pale green eyes staring sightlessly at the wall of the den. Swiftfoot pressed his nose into her fur, before padding out of the den, heading towards the hollow where Echostar made her nest. "Echostar? There's something I should tell you..." After hearing what the young medicine cat had to say, the dark grey warrior dipped her head. "Mossheart will be missed. I'll make an announcement soon." Swiftfoot nodded and slid out of the den, almost bumping into Pumpkinkit, who had been sitting outside. "Pumpkinkit!" He mewed sternly. "Were you listening in?" The kit shook her head earnestly. "I wanted to ask you a question." The medicine cat nodded and trotted towards his den, with Pumpkinkit bouncing at his heels. "I was hoping I could be your apprentice." Pumpkinkit blurted out, then slapped her tail across her mouth in horror. Swiftfoot stared at her. "Are you sure?"

"Yes! I've wanted to be a medicine cat since I was a small kit, but I pretended I didn't... Volekit was so excited about being a warrior with me." The pale orange kit looked at her paws in sadness. Would Mossheart approve? The medicine cat thought wildly, then twitched his tail, remembering his dream.

Of course she would! "If Echostar agrees, then yes, Pumpkinkit. You would be a great medicine cat- I can tell." Pumpkinkit purred and leaped to her paws. "Thank you! But... I should probably go tell Volekit." She added, glancing at the nursery. "Now, before the ceremony, to give him time to understand." Swiftfoot touched his nose to her muzzle and padded away.