Two creations, two paths

After that experience in the void, I couldn't go back to sleep. The knowledge of other universes and other versions of the ones I know was terrifying, but kind of comforting. There were others that had a happier life. But one thought bugged me throughout the night.

"You're Lukas, a variation of Gaster that only exists on this timeline..." Core said. Was I the only one? I thought everyone had different versions but it seemed like I didn't. Gaster, Toriel, Papy, Sans, Frisk and Chara... I was the only one without a different version.

I decided to leave that thought there and got out of bed. It was already morning, only with Toriel at the table in the dining room.

"Good morning my Child." She said with a smile, looking up from her book and cup of tea.

" Good morning Mo.... Toriel..." I said, feeling my face warm up. Damn, I nearly called her mom. Well, she was more of a Mom more than my real one, if I could even call her the real one.

" It's no problem Lukas, don't worry. Slip-ups happen." She waved her hand as I turned on the coffee machine. Only nodding as a response, I picked out the phone from my pocket.

"Do you think I should call my parents? I mean, we didn't even talk since my... sister died." I sighed. Ever since I got my memories back, I had trouble assigning myself as a part of the Reeves family.

"Only if you want, dear. If you want, I found some clothes you can use if you want to change. I put them in your closet." She said, taking a sip. I nodded again, pouring myself a cup of coffee and going to my room. It was hard to press that button, but after it started ringing, it was picked up rather quickly.

" Lukas! It's good to see you call. I'm with your father, how are you?" My 'mother's' tired voice chimed into the phone.

" A bit tired. And you? There's too much noise around you." I answered, picking out a coat from the closet.

" We're at the city arena. Mettaton himself escorted us after we seemed refuge here." She explained, making me freeze for a bit. She remembered him only because Daisy liked him so much.

"Is.... dad there? How is he holding up?" I forced myself to say it.

" He's fine. Getting along with the monsters more easily than I anticipated." I hummed in response.

"Guess you know about... Daisy..." I croaked out, still caring about my sister. Gaster was right, I was good with kids and got attached to them pretty easily.

" It's still... shocking and hard but... But I heard that she was brave and sacrificed herself... That boy, Cam told us when he visited..." She sniffed, trying to hold back tears.

" Yes, she was.. strong and brave. If I'll have time, I'll check in at the Arena. It's a safe perimeter, so it's better than staying anywhere else." I said, then heard that someone took the phone.

"Lukas? I hope you can hear me. I'm... sorry for all those years. I wasn't a proper father." My father said, grinding his teeth.

" I still won't get it why you literally abused me for all those years but... Okay. It's a start." I grumbled, not having the heart to tell them I wasn't actually their son.

" I have to go, ok? I'll check in at the Arena later." I said, putting down the call instantly. This was hard. I couldn't tell them the truth, at least not on the phone. After a while, I picked out my outfit and changed into it. As I looked into the mirror, I facepalmed. I was such an idiot. I put on a gray turtleneck shirt and a darker gray trench coat with light brown slacks. I picked the outfit Gaster was wearing when he and the other came out of the mountain for the first time.