Delaying the inevitable

I hated seeing Frisk and Asriel like this. While Asgore was arrested because of his crimes, Frisk and I tried to reason with the council. Unfortunately, after he admitted to killing several human children, we couldn't do anything. He was taken away to the city's police department for further questioning and possible criminal charges. Both Frisk and I returned home after the reunion, just to see that both Toriel and Asriel were devastated. I hurried home to think about what I could do to save Asgore, or just to make them drop the criminal charges.

" Nothing... Still nothing!" I growled as I swiped the books and papers away. I was sitting in Mom's office, examining the law- and history books. I shuddered as I felt a wave of defeat fly through me. My hands were shaking, and my sight was blurry from either crying, or exhaustion, but it didn't matter. I want to find something, I need to! I couldn't contain my emotions anymore, as tears started falling from my eyes. My head burried itself into arms, letting my tears fall. I felt useless. Suddenly, I felt a hand touch my shoulder, which made me jolt up and summon a hand as a defensive act.

" Lukas..? You're still up?" I heard a deep voice as I turned around, just to meet with a pair of purple eyes. My father was standing there, but he was acting different. His voice was sincere and gentle, instead of being harsh and cold. Something happened, and it made me a bit uncomfortable.

" Yes... As you can see, I'm still up. I know that Daisy is already sleeping, but I want to stay up a little more." I said, answering his question. He blinked a few times, and sighed. I raised my eyebrow, as he walked to the windows.

" It's 7 am Lukas. You've stayed up through the whole night." He said as the pulled up the shutters, and letting my eyes burn out from the sunlight that shined in. I quickly covered my eyes and turned towards father.

" Strange... I don't feel tired. Anyways, I think that I'll go and check up on Dr. Gaster...." I said, releasing a tired yawn. Father chuckled, and smiled at me.

" Alright. Oh, before you go. I... I saw you in TV... During the reunion. I'm... Proud... Of you. And... Be careful out there." He said, and my heart skipped a beat. I have never heard him say this word. Was he really proud of me? I really hope that it's not temporary.

" Okay." I said quickly, before teleporting. It seems like because I didn't sleep yesterday, my magic seemed to be a little cranky, since I appeared in Toriel's living room.

" Oh, my child! You startled me..." Miss Toriel said as she turned towards me from the kitchen.

" I'm incredibly sorry Miss Toriel, I was going to the Doctor's..." I said, examining my surroundings. Asriel was sitting at the table, devoid of energy. He was staring at the table, not noticing that I came in. Suddenly, Sans teleported a flower onto the table, which made both of them smile.

" Hey, Sans. Asriel. Sorry for dropping in suddenly." I said, making them turn to me.

" Nah, no big deal kid." Sans said, as Asriel examined the flower.

" Where's Frisk?" I asked, not knowing where he was. I couldn't feel his magic in the house, so he must have gone somewhere.

" He went to Doctor Gaster's lab. I think he went to check up on Betty." Asriel said, putting the flower down.

" Thanks Asriel. I'll be going." I said, going towards the front door.

" Hey, both of you should ease up. If you continue, both of you are going to wilt." Sans joked, trying to help us with a flower pun. I chuckled, smiling.

" Don't worry, I won't." I said, teleporting away. This time, I landed a few houses away from the lab. I noticed that Frisk was in the lab door, so I hurried there. When I opened the door, I saw Frisk in the lobby, watching something, or someone.