Sorcery

"...This is exhilarating."

"Stop making such sketchy faces, Senku..." Amelie cringed.

"I can't stop them!" Ginro had joined in trying to pop the bubbles, growling out in frustration. "The more I stab, the more appear. All right, then. I'll have to use...Special Technique: Let Someone Else Handle It!"

The boy turned and ran off, bellowing out, "Hey, Chrome it's sorcery!"

"Chrome?" Amelie mouthed to herself.

"Quit freaking out, Ginro. I'm already here."

The two scientists turned to be greeted by a brunet, pointing at the bubbles, "I saw these from the coast. I'd be crazy not to come here right away."

He adjusted his headband a little before introducing himself, "Hey, I'm Chrome. I'm an insanely smart, genius sorcerer!"

Amelie crossed her arms, brows slowly furrowing.

"Looks like we won't have to go find him, Senku, this is the man I told you about yesterday," Kohaku clarified with a scoff.

"A sorcerer, huh?" Senku droned on with an uninterested expression, "I'm Senku. I'm a scientist."

Amelie shifted to place her hand on her hip, "I'm Amelie. I'm also a scientist, but I don't do as much of the 'sorcery' as Senku."

Chrome turned to the two gatekeepers, who had stopped messing with the bubbles, "Don't let them scare you with his cheap sorcery, Ginro, Kinro. You can make plenty of this stuff from coal suds."

Chrome popped two of the bubbles.

Amelie and Senku shared a look of surprise, having another conversation with their eyes, before refocusing on the brunet.

"I wasn't scared," Kinro hurried to deny, "You're a fool if you aren't cautious of the unknown."

"Being cautious of the unknown sounds boring, why not explore it?" Amelie smirked.

She giggled at his appalled expression.

Ginro decided to just be honest and confess, "I was pretty scared."

Kinro turned to Chrome, "Why are you here Chrome? I have no interest in relying on dubious, so-called 'sorcery'."

"I don't care. Do as you like." Chrome gave a wide grin as he tossed his blue cloth away, never breaking eye contact. "But this is one thing I'm not backing down on. No one beats me in sorcery."

"Don't get in my way, guys," he warned the brothers, "If we fight here, the villagers could get caught up in it. Let's move elsewhere."

And the group moved the 'spar' to a clearing not too far away, only a lone shed took up some of the space.

Chrome started a bonfire, an evil laugh and expression to match, his eyes gleamed from the light.

The emotions varied among the group, exhilaration, confusion, and the feeling of being skeptical.

Cackles rang through the air, the villagers in the group waiting in anticipation.

All Senku did was sigh before seating himself, Amelie followed with interest.

"Check out my badass sorcery!" Chrome exclaimed with a wide smirk, "Rainbow Bridge! I am the master of flames!"

He lifted his arms and threw a substance into the fire, the flames flared as they turned yellow.

The villager teens back up in shock.

Ginro shouted in alarm, "The fire turned yellow! How?!"

Chrome repeated this motion, it the fire became a greenish-blue, then purple.

Everyone was impressed but the two scientists.

"Rainbow bridge, my ass," Senku muttered to himself, standing, he addressed Chrome, "It's just a flame test reaction. You threw salt, copper, and sulfur in that order. What's the copper? Copper sulfate or something? I guess that doesn't help...

"It's the blue crystals you picked up in the caves, isn't it?" Amelie rephrased from her seat.

Realization dawned upon Chrome and he panicked when noticing the disappointment on Kohaku's face.

He hurried to convince her, "You'd better not be thinking that these cheap tricks are the only sorcery I've got!"

"I didn't say anything," Kohaku frankly replied.

"Just wait right here!" Chrome declared as he hurried to his shed, the door shut as he shuffled through his collection. "I'm going to show you something that can actually be weaponized. This one's legit, trust me!"

"He went to get something," Ginro observed.

"Is that why he wanted to relocate?" Kohaku wondered.

"So, he needed his tools," Kinro discerned.

All of them were quite underwhelmed.

Soon Chrome returned with a brown-colored orb, aggressively rubbing it against his arm. Walking towards an unknowing Ginro, he lifted a finger to the tip of his nose without touching it.

"Ouch!" Ginro called out after the shock. He flinched back, "What was that attack?"

Chrome chuckled weakly, a smirk forming on his lips. Without warning, Senku reached out a hand, taking it from him.

Senku inspected the ball, "A ball of sulfur, huh?"

Amelie poked it with the pad of a finger, interested, "I remember seeing this at some science museum in America."

"You put that sulfur you threw on the fire earlier into a pot and melt it down with heat. Once it cools down and hardens, you crack the outer layer, and you're done. That's a crazy way to make one of these things. A sulfur ball static generator. It's supposed to be a 17th-century invention."

"Huh," Amelie glanced at Chrome, "You are pretty badass."

"You're exhilarating, Chrome, you know that?"

Senku took the flag off of the makeshift pole, wrapping it around the sulfur ball, "Rubbing it with leather instead of your hands will give you ten billion times more power. This is my flag of science."

He began to rub it against the ball, which produced more static. Senku's hair started to rise and spread out, which make Amelie smother a giggle.

He grabbed Chrome's arm, making the boy yelp in pain at the surge of electricity in his body, "Oh, crap!"

"Oh, lemme' try, Scallion," Amelie grinned in dark excitement.

"His head's all spiky!" Ginro exclaimed, horrified.

"It was spiky before, though," Kohaku replied indifferently, she tilted her head in curiosity, "How does that work?"

Ignoring Chrome's hoarse gasp and his eyes rolling to the back of his head, Senku smirked at Kohaku and tossed the ball to her.

She easily caught it and tried using it, Ginro joined her, their hair standing.

Amelie wanting in on the experiment too also touched it. Her two-toned hair rose behind her.

"You really look like an IKEA sign, now."

The girl pouted, "Shut up. At least I don't look like a vegetable!"

"Hey! Give it back!" Chrome threw himself forward to grab it, only to eat dirt when Kohaku moved it out of his reach.

"What is this, a kid's science experiment class? Such primitive..."

He noticed Amelie smiling to herself, trying to hide the expression. He let out a huff of laughter in amusement.

He tore his eyes away from her to Chrome's shed, "Chrome, did you think all this up by yourself in this primitive village? You gathered all these potentially useful minerals and scientific materials in that shed by yourself?"