18 | Climax

"So Joshua is your brother." Hotch's eyes drilled into you.

"Yes," you replied quietly.

"Tell me about him."

Your eyes bounced around the room. "Uhm well, we were both adopted. He's always been closer to me than my other family because we're biologically related."

"Mhm," the agent said, scribbling notes.

"Josh encouraged my acting more than anyone. He got me my first audition."

"This encouragement...did it ever get aggressive?"

You swallowed. "I—I don't know."

"You don't know?"

This guy's scary. "I know he loves me, you know? It just felt like sometimes he wanted this life for me more than I did."

He leaned back in his seat. "Is that so?"

"Yeah. I used to say I wanted to stop. Long nights, media comments, pressure—I just wanted to go MIT. I got a scholarship, you know?"

"I did not." He was writing so fast; it was sort of scary.

"My dream was always computers and kids somehow, but Josh told me I'd make more money in acting. I agreed to try, and somehow I got cast. He didn't let me quit after I started getting checks. Josh always said my checks for smiling with a water bottle would make more than 10 years in computers." You exhaled, drumming your fingers on the desk. "I guess he was right, but I still wish it was different sometimes."

"Miss L/N." Hotch paused. "Do you have any idea why Josh was so insistent on this?"

"I tried to deny it for so long, but it's obvious, isn't it?" You looked at your feet. "The money."

"Did Josh know about Spencer?"

You looked at the man. "Did Josh do this?"

"It's a theory. A lot of our job is speculation at first, we need to rule everyone out."

"Josh couldn't have," you whispered. "He wouldn't."

"Like I said, it's speculation. But did he know of Dr. Reid's relation to you?"

You bit your lip and nodded.

"And did he express any feelings over it?"

Your lip quivered. "He told me that Spencer wasn't worth my career."

"Did this get hostile?"

Your chest got tighter and tighter, eyes stinging. "Yes."

"Voicemails, right?"

"Yes," you choked. "I never meant to get him involved."

"Miss L/N." Hotch's eyes pierced yours. "This is not and never will be your fault. I'm going to ask you something now, okay?"

You nodded.

"Do you think Joshua L/N is capable of Spencer's disappearance?"

For a brief moment, everything was silent.

"Yes."

But then again, things tend to be quiet in the eye of a hurricane.

Emily pulled on the strap of the FBI vest on your torso. "There."

"Thanks," you said quietly, looking at the mob of SUVs. "All this?"

"Precautionary. We won't need it, Spence is gonna be fine." She motioned to the door to one of the cars. "You can ride with me."

"Thank you."

You couldn't say much.

What does one say to an agent about to risk their lives to save someone from your brother? Sorry? My bad?

"Y/N?"

You removed your head from the window. "Yeah?"

"I'm going in. You're gonna wait out here with Agent Rossi and Jareau."

"Okay." You hesitated. "Be safe."

Emily smiled softly. "We all will. You'll see Spence soon."

The two of you got out at some remote cabin not far from Josh's house, Emily leading you to the group of agents hidden behind some trees. JJ took your hand, giving you a small squeeze as the agents vanished inside.

Waiting and waiting. It felt endless.

Bang.

JJ immediately drew her firearm, looking at Rossi as a few SWAT officers went inside.

Bang. Bang.

"Rossi! Now!" The two ran off, leaving you on your own.

You looked around, running out of the bushes into whatever patch of light you could find. "Agent Jareau? Rossi?"

It got quiet again. Too quiet.

"Hey, little sis."

You whirled around, the barrel of a gun staring you down. "Josh..."

"Now you talk to me, huh?"

You were shaking. "Josh, please...just talk to me."

"ME?! Talk to you?! That's rich, Y/N. YOU are the one who ignored me for weeks!"

"I'm sorry, okay?"

"Sorry?! I did EVERYTHING for you, and I get NOTHING!"

You gulped, the metal of the gun now pressed to your forehead. "This isn't going to make things better."

"Make things better," he scoffed, a clicking sound coming from the gun. "Things were ruined the moment you met Spencer Reid."

"Josh," you whimpered. "Don't."

"Too late." He smiled, the familiar warmth you had always seen in his eyes—the ones just likes yours—was gone. "Love you."

"JOSHUA L/N! FBI!"

That voice. "Spencer?" You could barely catch a glimpse of him when Josh wrapped an arm around your neck, pressing the gun to the side of your head. "SPENCER!"

"Y/N, stay calm! Okay?" His eyes were glistening. "I'm here."

You nodded, squeezing your eyes shut as Josh pushed the weapon against your skull.

"Joshua L/N, put the gun down. We can solve this."

"Don't lie! You ruined me! You ruined this!"

Spencer extended his hand, slowly walking towards him. "Joshua..."

"STAY BACK!" He shrieked, hitting the side of your head with gun.

A whimpering sound escaped your lips.

Spencer shut his eyes, a tear slipping out. "Please, let her go. I ruined this, not Y/N."

Josh shook his head. "She ruined everything by falling in love with you!"

"So kill me! Not her!"

"Reid," Morgan said, stepping forwards.

"Morgan," Hotch whispered sharply. "Wait."

"Let Y/N go, take me...things will go back to normal." Spencer stepped forwards, placing his gun in his holster. "See?"

Josh's grip around your neck loosened.

"Let her go."

He slowly removed his arm, Spencer quickly diving at him. Before he got knocked to the ground, Josh slammed the back of the gun against your forehead.

Blurring. Ringing. A low buzzing. And then it all went black.

oh boy it's been a second. i am so busy it's gotta be illegal ;(