Chapter 29: Back to Black

Nico's PoV

It was still in the middle of the night as the Hunters came together on request of Artemis. The group of girls and wolves were assembled around a small campfire, which flickered light into the darkness. The eyes of the wolves reflected the light as they stalked around the group simply watching.

It was kinda scary ...

I lived in the underworld for most of my life and saw many things one would consider freaking scary and still, the wolves I was among gave me the creeps. I was about the only wolf who looked scared among it's own kind.

Just then I saw Diana coming from one direction looking as stoic as ever, but she seemed kinda preoppucied as she silently sat down next to Thalia and Zoe. I saw Thalia giving her a glance as she leaned over a bit.

"Where have you been, my Lady?"

She was only met with silence as she didn't even seem to register Thalia's presence, that however gave me as well as seemingly Thalia a good idea where she was, or with whom...

"Hunters." My attention was once again brought back to the campfire where Artemis now stood with a few shadows flickering across her face as the campfire danced around wildly with a breeze.

I hadn't even seen her coming...

"We have a quest of utmost importance. If we fail that might just be the end of Olympus."

No pressure there...

Still the Hunters kept quiet only looking at Artemis with respect in their eyes.

"We are to rescue, the son of Zeus, Heracles."

She spat his name out with venom in her voice and all the expressions hardened. For a moment everyone seemed to hold back a growl.

I wonder what I missed this time...

"But, my Lady-" One of the Hutresses spoke up in protest only to be silenced with the raise of Artemis' hand.

"I am aware of his actions. I myself despise this boy..." A few grunts of aggreement followed that statement, before she went on.

"... still he is the favored son of Zeus himself and should we believe the Prophecy of the Old we stand no chance against the Giants without him."

Artemis looked disgusted at the thought that she had to rely on Heracles and I myself agreed.

I'd say the world was beter off without him... How ironic...

The Prophecy of the Old Artemis talked about however picked my interest. I knew that since ancient times there were Great Prophecies that brought about Heroes. My best friend was one of those Heroes... I guess I should have paid more attention in history classes ... or at least should have attented one.

"We shall rescue him from the enemy."

Silence reigned once again as all the hunters looked down again a bit angry.

"But, my Lady... We only have seven days and we don't know where they have taken him."

Well it seemed true but Artemis didn't wave in the least. Her expression even hardened a bit. Yet again everyone focused on the Goddess of the moon as a eerie glint appeared in her eyes.

"There is only one place, where they could hide the boy from the Olympians..."

The indication was all to clear and still some seemed to fear the reality as it dawned them where they had to go... The sund slowly began rising covering the world in light. And still it seemed full of dread as it slowly crept over the forest.