Chapter 30: Shadows in the Dark

Percy's PoV

Damn! Where are they?

I shot through the forest trying to get to the group of Huntresses that already sat out towards the Underworld. Nyx had me distracted for quite some time with her blabber... I had to say she was one strange figure. I didn't even know what to think of her. I couldn't tell if she was lying, actually telling the truth or outright just playing with me. I knew however that I would meet her again one way or the other.

Now however I had greater problems. I had to catch up to Artemis, her Hunters, Thalia Nico and ... Artemis. She would definitely not be really happy, when she noticed that I had yet again disappeared.

It wasn't even my fault!

Finally I shot out of the trees and reached the sea site. I knew they were somewhere around here, because of my awesome sense of smell, being a wolf and all. However when I looked on I saw that the sky darkened and the water eerily still. The silence that followed after that was gloomy.

Well they can't be far from that...

I changed back into my human form and after jumping into my element I propelled forward. The swirling clouds in the distance gave me a pretty good idea where exactly they were. I didn't need long to notice a ship right in the middle of the phenomena, as I came to a halt before a platform that seemed to have risen from the sea.

These were the Gates of Hell, the ancient ones anyway. I thought it far to troublesome to get out on the sea and then enter through these eerily black gates. Well, who in their right minds would even want to travel to Hades in the first place?

...

Finally the doors opened with out so much as a noise before darkness escaped. It looked like a shallow sea of darkness as some black dust swirled around, slowly rising from it. A second later three heads slowly rose from the abyss, their glowing eyes fixated on the ship as they bared their teeth.

Cerberus...

Well now the question was... How to get in? As I looked the dog over I didn't think he would just move out of the way and sqeezing by didn't seem possible with the massive hound. Well just beat him back down could be a bit hard but...

Before I could finish my thoughts Cerberus' middle head opened it's jaws wide and before I could even begin to think what he was doing the ship on the water disappeared between his fangs. For a moment I could only gape like a fish as the dog rose again, the ship having disappeared and started to recede with it's other two heads...

"Not with me doggie!" I quickly shot out of the water as I dragged a huge wave after me attacking the monster dog.

Well I got all the attention I could have hoped for as the heads snapped to me and fixated me in their glare before I slashed them. I drowned the three heads... for a moment.

After that my triumphant smirk disappeared as the water screen vanished. It revealed three pissed off heads of Cerberus now not only glaring but also growling at me with smoke escaping their maws.

"You don't like baths...?" I could only chuckle nervously as I rubbed the back of my head.

Great I just had to go and piss off the biggest dog in existence with the biggest and sharpest teeth in existence, who could also breath fire. Go Percy...

He did eat my friends...

The longer Ithought about it the stranger it got to me. There were not one but two Goddesses on the ship and if they wanted to they could have just destroyed the Guard of Hell. So why didn't they? They let themselve be swallowed...