Haircut

Publishing stories that I either wrote a while back or started writing and never got around to finish. May do a part 2 to some of these if I have time. Self-indulgent Ruggie fic because he has always been one of my fav twst characters and has been on my home screen for the greater part of two years ;;;; he has so much unexplored depth that people tend to look over and I would really like to write a character study on him (that along with a study on Kalim, and maybe a further study on their friendship dynamic...)(I've been doing a lot of analyzing and interpreting metaphors in my classes,,, the lines between school and hobby are blurring aaahhhh)

TW: Poverty, a little bit of blood but not a lot, injury, insecurity, absent parents, death

Ruggie nervously runs his hands along the now shorter, nearly shaved sides of his head, the fluff that ran between his ears and down the back of his head much more prominent and fluffed out. His ears twitch at the sudden summer breeze, unused to being so open to the elements. He no longer has to blow his bangs out of his eyes, the brown that was once a small portion of his hair now making up the majority, the blonde only coming out when he pushes his hair back with his hand.

His hair had never been cut so close to the sides, never been so short before. He keeps catching himself rubbing his hands over the short strands. Even when he was younger and had to cut it, his grandmother would always leave it a little on the shaggier side, cutting it so that he could see and it didn't cover too much of his neck.

It all started when he was about to return to NRC after spending the duration of summer break in his hometown, picking up extra hours because he didn't have to worry about homework, tutoring the neighborhood kids, and helping his grandmother around the house just as he had before he had to go to school. At some point, it got in his eyes so often that he had to continually tie it back out of his eyes, a short, flower like tuft atop his head with spiky strands sticking out of the sides and the rest of his hair cascading down the back of his neck, another hair tie going to putting that in a small ponytail.

He came home that night, sweaty, tired, and thoroughly worn out from the day. He collapsed on one of the wooden chairs that was in the kitchen, sighing as his grandmother walked in, laughing.

"What...?" He frowns, looking up at the woman.

"Ya look like a show horse," His grandmother holds him close, taking both the ties out and watching as his hair falls around his face, completely obscuring his eyes and draping down his neck. "Don't'cha think you should cut it?"

"Ya think I should?" She hums, detangling the strands with her claws as Ruggie sighs and leans into her comforting touch, allowing his eyes to slip closed as she fixes his hair. She pulls away, cupping his face in her hands and blowing on his face, making him squirm.

"Bibi..." He whines as she pulls away, ducking into one of the cabinets under the sink and rummaging around. "Let me get whatever you're lookin' for, I don't want ya to get hurt-"

She huffs, standing from her position with a groan as she brushed off her skirt, old scissors in hand. "Sit." He does as she says, a little unnerved by the familiar look of determination in her eyes as she brandished the object. "Don't you wanna look put together for your little friend back on campus?"

"Friend...?" He flushes.

"The one you're tryin' to court," She says matter-of-factly as Ruggie feels some of his hair be lifted and he hears the familiar snip of the scissors, watching the sandy strands fall to the ground in thick chunks. The blush creeps up his neck and he pouts.

"Bibi, it's not like that at all!" He winces when she grabs both sides of his head and moves him so he's sitting up straight. "They're just a friend of mine, promise."