jamil 2

It was a normal day at NRC, with you having taken Jamil back to Scarabia after classes, chatting with him about practice as he smiled down at you warmly, your hands intertwined as you stepped through the mirror. He had dismissed himself to change out of his uniform, leaving you to sit in the common room. 

Now, it was not often that you had seen your lover lose his mind. Sure, you had seen the subtle twitch of his eyebrow or the way his jaw clenched when Kalim or one of his teammates had gotten into trouble, or the way that he had to fight his eyes from rolling when you would make a dumb joke or try to pamper him, stifling the smile that would creep up on his lips as he would turn his head. 

So when you hear an ear-splitting scream from his room, you shot up in your chair, heart racing as your mind turned over anything that could have happened. You race to his room, feeling your face pale as your heartbeat hammers in your ears, a pit forming in your stomach as you twist the knob and throw the door open. 

"Jam?!" You breathe a sigh of relief when you notice that he is unharmed. His hands shake at his sides and you can see the cold sweat forming along his forehead. His hair is slightly disheveled, and he stands in the corner of the room in his tanktop, sweatshirt balled up as a weapon in his hands. His eyes widen as he turns to you, taking a moment to catch his breath as he strides over to you, holding both of your biceps and hiding behind your back, effectively using you as a shield. "What happened?!"

"There is a dangerous, vile creature in here and I need you to kill it!" 

"Dangerous?" You ask, voice quivering. You had known of all the oddities in Twisted Wonderland by now- the plants that could make someone shrink or grow and the roots that would howl when you pulled them from the ground until your ears rang and you had to sit in the infirmary for the rest of the day. Jamil was skilled in self-defense, and he was incredibly knowledgeable about anything that could cause harm. You bit your lip in fear thinking about how horrible this thing must be if even he couldn't bear to be around it. 

A small speck flying across the room snapped you out of your thoughts. You felt Jamil's hands tighten on your arms, and you could swear you could hear his teeth creak from how hard he was clenching his jaw. It lands on the wall and you sigh, stifling a giggle. 

"It's a ladybug."

"Get it out. Now," His voice was low as you wiggled out of his firm grip, holding his face firmly between your palms and pressing a kiss to the tip of his nose as he huffed. "Please. Before it moves again!"

"Okay! Okay!" You giggle and climb onto his bed, trying to stabilize yourself as you walk along the comforter and cup your hand on the wall. You feel the ladybug fly toward your hand, its small feet tickling your fingers and you giggle. "You know, in my world, ladybugs are good luck!"

"Not here," He sighs and takes a hesitant step back when you jump off the bed, cupping your hands and giving the small insect some room to crawl around. 

"They're not scary," You walk over to him. 

"Get rid of it!" He holds his arms up and backs himself into the wall as you smile. "It's not funny." His face goes stoic again, aside from the way his eyes blink rapidly from your hand to your face. You slowly raise your cupped hands and watch him press himself further into the wall. "Baby, it's not funny." His voice raises a bit as you watch him gulp. You feel a little bad but also... he teases you much, much worse. 

You drop your hands and chuckle. "It's a little funny!" He pouts and gently flicks your forehead. "Is that any way to treat your generous savior?"

"I'm cooking dinner. That's your treat," He deadpans and backs himself away from the wall, walking with you until you hit the common room. You can hear his footsteps grow distant and you notice that he's trailing behind you. 

"Jamil?"

"Hm?"

"Help me?" You ask, trying to give him your most innocent stare. You notice his eyebrows furrow on his forehead as he sighs, hanging his head slightly as he nods, the bells along his hairline jingling softly. You lift your arms slightly and motion for him to cup your hands in his own, which he does so hesitantly. You can feel him rest his chin against the nape of your neck, as well as the slight flinch when you open your hands and allow the small bug to fly out. You watch it go and smile, smiling when he buries his face in the crook of your neck and his arms move to wrap around your waist, pulling your back flush against his chest. 

"Are you okay?" He nods and you smile, wiggling in his hold to turn around. "Come on, let's make dinner."

He nods and lifts his face from your neck, smiling until his eyes wander to right above your head, eyes widening. You follow his gaze and you both silently watch the small ladybug drift back into the dorm and bumble cheerfully down the hall. 

"Did it just...?"

"...Yeah."