T H I R T E E N

ARES 

"That is my son" I snarled at the faceless figure "He belongs to me." 

 "I wouldn't be too sure of that if I were you Mutt" The figure let out a garbled laugh "Because before he was yours...he was one of ours." 

There was a ruckus from downstairs just as a beep sounded from the assailant's watch. 

He let out a curse before backing away towards the window, his gun still trained on Maddie and Markos. 

"I was the first but I can assure you, I won't be the last" he said hooking something from his belt onto the windowsill "You can either hand the child over to us or kiss your precious Pack goodbye." 

With those final words, he ascended up to the roof just as a few guards busted into the room. 

"Protect my family" I snarled at them before quickly hauling myself up and out of the window. 

By the time I climbed up to the roof, the coward was already gone. 

I could hear the helicopter in the distance and growled, wondering how the hell these assholes even managed to get another thing over us and bring in their damned escape plan without us even noticing. 

I crawled back down the roof and swung my body into the window, careful not to land on the larger pieces of glass. 

My sister's wolves were on me in a second. 

"Are you okay sir?" a younger guard asked just as his mentor stated "Your family is all gathered in the foyer Ares." 

"I'm fine" I gave the younger wolf a reassuring nod before turning to Mikhail, the older guard "How did this even happen?" 

I strode to the door and stomped down the stairs, aware that the guards were not only following me to relay information but also to keep protocol. 

Two guards to every one member of the Ruling Family. 

A rule my sister implemented when she created in the early days of her presiding as Alpha of all Alphas when threatened wolves would come out of the wood works to challenger her. 

According to my father, one of her advisors, the easiest way to overthrow or manipulate her to give up her title would be to use one of her loved ones against her.

That's why during times like these we were assigned two wolves to guard us like clockwork. 

And because Madi and Mars belong to me now, the same protection will be apply to them. 

Extra protection, if tonight was any indication of how much they needed it.