F I V E

Ares

Days blended into weeks and weeks blended into Months, and eventually, we settled into a normal routine. 

Like a real family. 

Until, one day where everything went up in flames. 

"Ares! We're home!" Madi yelled from the front door. 

My wolf immediately perked up, glad that our Mate and little pup were safely back within our range. 

I met them at the front door and smiled when baby Mars reached out his chubby little hands for me. 

I plucked him out of his mother's grasp and kissed his chunky cheek "How's my little man doing? Protecting your Mom for me like we discussed?" 

He just giggled and played with my face, smushing our faces together like it was play-doh. 

"Oh, so you're the reason why he scares off people when they come near us" Madi raised an eyebrow as she carried the small bag of groceries to the kitchen. 

I beamed and tickled his tummy, making him giggle even louder "So he's using what I taught him?" 

"You're impossible" Madi laughed. 

"Why?" I grinned at her "Because I'm making sure our boy protects his Mama?"

Her laughter died down and she gave me a look I couldn't decipher.

"What?" I cocked my head to the side and raised an eyebrow "Do I have baby spit on my face?" 

She just stared at me. 

"Madi?" I lost my grin "Is everything okay?" 

She dropped her gaze "It's nothing" 

"Hey," I leaned forward and grasped her chin "It's not nothing. Tell me what's bothering you?" 

"It's just..." she sniffled, refusing to meet my gaze "You said 'Our' boy and for so long, I felt so guilty that I wouldn't have been able to provide Markos with a father figure he needed..." 

She trailed off, blushing a deep red color. 

My smile softened as Markos reached out for his Mama, trying to comfort her in her time of need. 

"They're nothing to feel guilty about" I kissed her forehead "I know we didn't create him together but that doesn't mean I love him any less"